• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense trinidad scorpion flavor

So it didn't hit me until this morning....
I've had pieces from a few butch t's I grew last year and some ordinary trinidad scorpions a few weeks ago.... wasn't expecting much after reading a few on here saying they tasted like battery acid....

I quit smoking and started vaping about 2 months ago.... I decided to try a kiwi flavored juice today.... and the taste was a familiar one, not exactly kiwi, but close enough that you can tell it was an attempt at the flavor.... closer to actual kiwi than the drinks and stuff using artificial flavors.... but I just linked the familiarity of the flavor today.... I can't eat the fruit due to allergies (strange, only food I'm allergic to) so I'm sure I would have picked up on it earlier.... trinidad scorpions have slight kiwi flavor hints to me, when I get a chance to taste them through the burn.
Anyone else pick up on the kiwi or am I just making things up?

Hmmmm.
I guess if you soaked a kiwi in battery acid----- :P

But seriously, I get where you are coming from, and I guess I could see where the taste comes from if eating one that wasn't fully ripe.
A slightly bitter fruityness with a hint of green flavor.
But you wouldn't get the hint of sweetness to complete it on an unripe pod, and you wouldn't get the hint of green on a ripe one.

Just my dos pesos.

Hmmmm. All pods were ripe.... it wasn't a strong kiwi flavor to the pods, either.... kind of an aftertaste or so from chewing.... and it seemed stronger on the pieces with placenta....

Have you been able to try a piece with all of the placenta removed?  I think orange habaneros taste much better (less sour and perfumey) without the placenta.

No.... my plant hasn't produced yet this year.... not complaining, trying to see if anyone has similar taste experiences....

rhm3769 said:
No.... my plant hasn't produced yet this year.... not complaining, trying to see if anyone has similar taste experiences....

Nope. All mine are extremely bitter. Sauces made with them need some sugar added. I wouldn't describe their taste as battery acid like some do, but I would call them bitter and not really fruity or floral at all.
and really damn hot.

Ive only had a couple butch ts(only 1 raw others were in a chili i made) and they dont taste anything to me like what people describe. Tastes like some kind of red fruit gum to me. I wonder if the capsaicin oils are just overpowering the tastebuds?

I think T.Scorps are tasty - it's a very fruity / floral taste. I don't get "battery acid" at all. Weird.
Jeff H said:
Nope. All mine are extremely bitter. Sauces made with them need some sugar added. I wouldn't describe their taste as battery acid like some do, but I would call them bitter and not really fruity or floral at all.and really damn hot.
Think all peppers are somewhat bitter. To me the most bitter is the Cayenne. There's a smoky quality to them, but also a bitterness. Citrus or citric acid tends to mask it quite a bit. Sugar just makes a bitter pepper sweet & bitter.
;)

Disagree about the T.Scorps though - to my palate they're very fruity.

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Disagree about the T.Scorps though - to my palate they're very fruity.

Funny how taste buds work. I get little if any fruity/floral taste from TSBT. From the Morugas, yes, very fruity/floral. Not the butch T's though.

Jeff H said:

Funny how taste buds work. I get little if any fruity/floral taste from TSBT. From the Morugas, yes, very fruity/floral. Not the butch T's though.
Ah - I've never had a Butch T - my bad, I thought it was "Trinidad Scorpions" in general being described that way.

Morugas absolutely agree with you - it's why I use them in my sauce despite the seasonal challenges.
When I posted I was going by the topic title...missed the 1st post. Doh!

I'm wondering if there's a chemical in butch t's that only some people can detect. Kind of like broccoli. Some people get a strong bitter taste from broccoli, while others don't get any bitterness at all because their taste buds don't sense it. I believe that's a genetic thing.

I love the Yellow Trinidad Scorpions I have growing. I bought them as Yellow Brain Strains but obviously they were not and the seed seller said they noticed a few T.S. growing in the field and might be that.
Anyway I can't really down a Ghost pepper or even some of the hotter trinidad Ones I have growing (9 total). But the T.S. i think is actually not that hot compared to the other superhots (and even habs I've grown), and the floral smell/taste is crazy good. I'll deseed it and eat it fine with food.
I noticed it was the only one that was so tasty and must have emitted some aroma outwards from the skin that ants and a few other insects would start eating them towards the end of the summer (never seen ants touch any other peppers).
The only downside was in front of a window, it didn't last long like other peppers. The fleshy yellow skin would turn white quickly after 3/4 days (almost like rotting).
If anyone wants any seeds let me know.

--Arian

illWill, i wanted to make sure myself... I ordered a box of CARDIs here last year and I thought CARDIs were way hotter (same shape though). Maybe they are a hybrid, but not sure.

Back