• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.
  • ūüĒ•Black Friday BOGO sale on memberships, info HERE!

chinense Trinidad scorpion mixed with orange habanero

So I'm not sure if it's accidentally happened or not but fruits from one of my orange habanero plants do not look like habs at all!

It has been relatively close to one of my Trinidad scorpions so maybe they cross pollinated...

If this has happened does anyone know what it would look like so I can see?

Or what's the best name to call them??? Haboscorpions haha!!
 
You can only see the results of a cross if you would plant the seeds from that fruit. It doesn't show in the parents. Motherplant sets fruit true to her genes, and produces crossed seeds in that fruit. So I would guess either you got seeds that weren't from a true habanero (open pollinated or something), or maybe you mixed the seeds up on accident.
 
b3rnd said:
You can only see the results of a cross if you would plant the seeds from that fruit. It doesn't show in the parents. Motherplant sets fruit true to her genes, and produces crossed seeds in that fruit. So I would guess either you got seeds that weren't from a true habanero (open pollinated or something), or maybe you mixed the seeds up on accident.
 
this.   if you are absolutely sure it wasn't a mix up.  then grow out the seeds next year and see all kinds of variations.  then keep the seeds from the best of the best. 
 
keep doing that and maybe just maybe you will have a new variety on your hands.  in a few years that is.
 
if the fruits aren't worth a damn then never mind.  no point in chasing after what might be.
 
Dave3207 said:
Or what's the best name to call them??? Haboscorpions haha!!
 
 
220px-Trinidad_Scorpion_Butch_T_Pepper.JPG
.......X.......
220px-Habanero_closeup_edit2.jpg
..= F1


 
jeff84 said:
keep doing that and maybe just maybe you will have a new variety on your hands.  in a few years that is.
 

 
`
true20seed20gen_zpsgzrybnoh.jpg
 
That said, an Orange Hab with ghostly heat sounds pretty sweet so, if it's a legit cross then it's probably worth refining.
 
dont call it anything other than F1.  unless you plan to work it and make it stable.  then you can give it a name.  really if it is a cross pollination accident you don't know what the parents are.  so you don't know what you got. 
 
if it is a scorpion cross, I would grow out the seeds and let them inbreed.  I would do that for at least 3 generations then cross it back to a scorpion.  then in breed those F1's for a few generations.  then I would say you would have  a unique variety
 
Richard Tater said:
 
Isn't 7 generations the standard for stabilizing a new variety?  Or is 14 preferred?
 
My understanding is F8 is the "standard", note how it crosses into 99.XX% and never crosses into 100% through F14? Makes me wonder if it ever does?
 
The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
 
My understanding is F8 is the "standard", note how it crosses into 99.XX% and never crosses into 100% through F14? Makes me wonder if it ever does?
 
 
that is the point i would suspect genetic depression might occure.  not sure if that is the proper term.
 
new genetics need to be intoduced from time to time.  this is where back crosses, or outcrosses to geneticly simmilar but not direct decendands are valuble to maintain a true growing line.  when that happens you could always go outside the box and cross it with something that is not at all geneticly similar but also has some good traits, you want to incorporate into your line.
 
then you need to go the whole stabilization/selection routine all over again
 
look inot animal breeding as well as plant breeding.  you will start to notice universal standards when it comes to true breeding lines.
 
plants have an advantage because you can keep choice parents alive indefenately. 
you cant just chop a horses leg off and grow a geneticly identical horse capable of sexual reproduction
 
The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
My understanding is F8 is the "standard", note how it crosses into 99.XX% and never crosses into 100% through F14? Makes me wonder if it ever does?
 
It would be mathematically impossible for it to ever reach 100%.  It is like a football game where the offense moves the ball half the distance to the goal on every play.  Sure, they will get close, but they will still never score a touchdown.
 
 
 
jeff84 said:
that is the point i would suspect genetic depression might occure.  not sure if that is the proper term.
 
new genetics need to be intoduced from time to time.  this is where back crosses, or outcrosses to geneticly simmilar but not direct decendands are valuble to maintain a true growing line.  when that happens you could always go outside the box and cross it with something that is not at all geneticly similar but also has some good traits, you want to incorporate into your line.
 
then you need to go the whole stabilization/selection routine all over again
 
I'm still relatively new to growing hot peppers, but that sounds like a great long game for this hobby.  From one year to the next, my goal would be to outperform the previous year.  But long term, I could focus on selecting and stabilizing some new varieties.
 
jeff84 said:
you cant just chop a horses leg off and grow a geneticly identical horse capable of sexual reproduction
 
But it would be awesome if you could.  Everyone would have a horse.
 
:rofl:
 
I grew an F2 Scorpion x Orange Hab this year, the peppers were orangish yellow and heat was around 700-800k SHU i would guess.  It was a pretty nice pepper, the cross was originally done by a guy named Jack Skaggs. 
 
Its a good cross, flavor I would say had the bice Orange Hab notes and you could sort of smell the Hab when you cut them open, and also could taste a bit of the hab and Scorpion when eating. 
 
I'll try and find some pictures and post them when I do.  cheers
 
Top