• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Trinidad Scorpion "Moruga"

I thaught it might be a cross with 7 pod.
I've read somewhere it's also refered to as Morouga blend unless they are different peppers or I remember wrong...

think its a very wrinkly variant. got some of these seeds from beth at peppermania. will post pics when they mature.

Trinidad Scorpion Morouga:

text in these pics suggest it's a hybrid?

LINK REMOVED - Need to remember rule 4....."Do not use the forums as an advertising tool to promote direct competitors of thehotpepper.com. This includes linking to other sites that are similar. If you have a review you want to post here from another site, cut and paste the review, do not link to it".

I don't believe that its a hybrid, just a Trididad Scorpion that was isolated and selectively grown specifically in an area of Trinidad known as Morouga, and named this way to keep the version seperated from others. There are other versions too, usually named after people who "discovered" or grew these peppers
I'm sure Cmpman1974 has some pics around here somewhere!

Trinidad is certainly the new hot spot for peppers, I can certainly see someone trying to breed a better Trinidad Scorpion and make a few bucks.

Great link to some even better pics. What a killer looking pepper! Did you see all the placenta tissue? Holy shite! I've got a couple of these going too. Can't freaking wait. Man I love the look of the wrinkled, pitted ones.

cmpman1974 said:
Hey, that's my picture on PepperFriends posted. :)

Chris

Chris you take some great shots. I feel like people always end up referencing your photos. What do you have in store for us this season?

Pam said:
F1 would indicate it's a hybrid, but what's it a hybrid of?

No, f1 just means that it is the first filial generation.
Since peppers self-pollinate, the first filial generation (f1) can be a product of just one plant, and therefore, not a cross

groeatrepeat said:
No, f1 just means that it is the first filial generation.
Since peppers self-pollinate, the first filial generation (f1) can be a product of just one plant, and therefore, not a cross

If you're in a lab or a genetics class that would be absolutely correct; however, in commercial seed sales, F1 generally indicates a hybrid.

*thinks*

I can't think of any case in commercial sales where it doesn't, can you?

*thinks*

They used to put the number with the variety name to indicates the number of crosses it took to get that hybrid, but come to think of it, I don't know if they bother anymore. You may be completely right and I may be bloviating piles of ca-ca.

Ignore me, I'm dithering.

Pam said:
If you're in a lab or a genetics class that would be absolutely correct; however, in commercial seed sales, F1 generally indicates a hybrid.

*thinks*

I can't think of any case in commercial sales where it doesn't, can you?

*thinks*

They used to put the number with the variety name to indicates the number of crosses it took to get that hybrid, but come to think of it, I don't know if they bother anymore. You may be completely right and I may be bloviating piles of ca-ca.

Ignore me, I'm dithering.

YOU WILL NOT BE IGNORED PAM!!!!!:)

Yeah, I think you're right. F1 is a sort of misnomer when usedd in the commercial plant industry

Back