• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Trinidad Scorpion Puré (CaJohn) - How hot compared to fresh chile?

Hello...

I just got a 2 oz. bottle of CaJohn's Trinidad Scorpion Puré containing 80% Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blends and 20% vinegar... I was prepared to have the hottest spoonfull ever, but it was not hotter than I expected at all...

As I don't have any market around supplying fresh Scorpions I'm asking here... Does the Scorpions/chiles loose alot of the heat when pureed and bottled or did I taste something like the fresh Scorpion?

Just to give it a review I really liked the Puré... Really a nice taste at the beginning, but soon the heat is overtaking... The burn did last for minutes to come, but never unbearable... But 2 oz. - not for many sandwiches in that one...

Cheers...

is that all of the ingredients? if not, please post them....

Only 2 ingredients on the bottle (Trinidad Moruga Scorpions and Vinegar). I'm looking at the label on my bottle of puree right now.

hmmmm...wonder if the percentages are by weight or volume...I know my standard TS puree will light your ass up

I'm with AJ on this... TS Morugas average about 1.2 million on the scale according to NMSU, so even a small amount would cause your GI tract to curse the day you were born.

hmmmm...wonder if the percentages are by weight or volume...I know my standard TS puree will light your ass up

+1

[font="Calibri""]Anybody who has every tried the TS Morouga pod knows it brings a lot of pain and discomfort. We dial back a bit when using this one as compared to the other traditional superhots.[/font]

MENTAL NOTE: Make sure to eat some ice cream before I consume my super hot birthday brownie on August 6th (the recipe will include this puree)

Some ice cream? Better have a metric ton or two ready to go...

Well I didnt say that it wasnt hot, but only that it wasnt as hot as I expected... I really thought I was gonna die before I did the spoonfull... I didnt die...

Thats why I asked if someone have tried both the mensioned puree and the real deal...

Some ice cream? Better have a metric ton or two ready to go...

I won't have a metric ton, but I will have a gallon tub of vanilla ice cream at the ready, at least. Being mildly lactose intolerant, dairy tends to go right through me when I consume a bunch of it. So I'm hoping it will shorten the duration of the birthday brownie aftermath. I'm not expecting it to be a very fun time either. =P

Back on topic though, a couple of days before my birthday, I will be doing a video review of the puree. I have never had anything with Trinidad Moruga Scorpions in it before, so it should be a good indicator of just how how the stuff is to a non-experienced chile head.

Hey...do you have any superhots right now or can you get 1/4 lb or so...

no thread hijack intended...but puree is the simplest thing to make...

100 gms peppers...just pull the stems off...do not core or seed...
60 ml 5% vinegar
pinch of sea salt
1/4 tsp agave nectar

blend all to a puree, cook down by 25%, and you are ready to taste it or can it....I pressure can all mine...

@DonDix - if you say Cajohns puree isn't that hot...just try this recipe and make your own...that is, of course, if you can get the pods...

Thanx alot... I will remember that reciepe for all my habs, nagabons and other hot chinenses I have growing atm... Is that the way you keep the pure taste of your chiles or do you prefer to freeze em?

About the scorps I only have the seeds, but next season ill have butch t and the orange ts...

I usually puree a lot of my peppers just because I am used to doing it...and set up for it...

personally, I do not freeze pods...they get mushy after thawing and then you are going to make something with them.....why not make something with them when they are fresh and avoid the middle step...you can use this puree in just about anything...

for making my different spice recipes, I use dehydrated pods that I have ground into powder, seeds and all...

NOTE: DON'T COOK THESE DOWN IN DOORS UNLESS YOU HAVE AN EXHAUST FAN OPEN TO THE OUTSIDE THAT CAN KEEP UP WITH THE VAPORS COMING OFF THE BUBBLING PUREE....

I cook all mine down either when I am home alone with at least 3 hours vent time for the house before the wife gets home or when she is out of town....if I have to cook the puree down while she is home, I just cook it down on a hot plate outside...youjust have to watch it...you want it bubbling but not a hard boil...the puree scortches quite easily if you try and cook it too quickly or too hot...

Hey...do you have any superhots right now or can you get 1/4 lb or so...

no thread hijack intended...but puree is the simplest thing to make...

60 ml 5% vinegar
pinch of sea salt
1/4 tsp agave nectar

blend all to a puree, cook down by 25%, and you are ready to taste it or can it....I pressure can all mine...

@DonDix - if you say Cajohns puree isn't that hot...just try this recipe and make your own...that is, of course, if you can get the pods...

Thanks for this recipe. Once my latest batch of seedlings start to produce sometime around late August or September, I'll definitely try this out with each breed of pepper I have for comparison's sake :)

60 ml 5% vinegar
pinch of sea salt
1/4 tsp agave nectar

Looks pretty simple - how much puree will come out of this reciepe? I have 100 and 200 ml bottles... And I'm going to hotfill and invert to sterilize...

How long do you approximately cook the puree?

Once again - thanx AJ... :-)

Looks pretty simple - how much puree will come out of this reciepe? I have 100 and 200 ml bottles... And I'm going to hotfill and invert to sterilize...

How long do you approximately cook the puree?

Once again - thanx AJ... :-)

you are welcome

it will make about 150 ml :lol:

I sure don't recommend "hotfilling"...I know sauces are put up like this but the puree is too thick for this style bottling IMO...I only pressure can when preserving peppers simply to keep the chance of botulism at a minimum...the pH is probably around 3.8-4.0 using this recipe which should be enough to keep the spores at bay, but I just want to make sure nothing grows in it...I have had several "hotpacked" sauces "fizz" all over me when opened because of gasses built up from spoilage....

it takes a good hour to cook the stuff down but the best way to know is simply measure the depth of the puree when you first put it in the pan and reduce by 25%....

oh, and by the way...I always recommend refrigeration after opening for my purees...

Back