• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Trinidad Scorpion Theory...

Ok so I read somewhere last year that if you save seeds from Trinidad Scorpion seeds that have a nice tail on them you will get plants the next year that produce tails and if you save seeds from pods that dont have much of a tail you wont get tails on the next plant's pods. Is this a good generalization or is it BS? I did as it was theorized and saved seeds only from the best tailed pods, by 5 plants this year are producing pods with simply awesome tails on them. Or is it just dumb luck?

Your opinion is???

To select a particular trait it would be logical to only save seeds from best pods produced the plants that best exhibit it. I'm leaning more to luck of the draw.

Do you have any photos of the this seasons pods to share?

I can't imagine its dumb luck at all. If they were isolated when pollinated then the offspring should have the tails. Thats my guess anywho.

It's called best selection - how the Dorset Naga was supposedly made/discovered. If the plant is not isolated, it could all fall through. It's no guarantee, but it improves chances.

Chris

Its mostly BS. With the Scorpion-BT in particular, I find that the flower rings help produce the tails by constricting pods when they are very small. I had a series of pics a few years back, I'll see if I can find them again.

Here's a couple pics
4711385039_14b4ce06c8.jpg

4711397639_9d231fd1e4.jpg

Its mostly BS. With the Scorpio-BT, I find that the flower rings help produce the tails by constricting pods when they are very small. I had a series of pics a few years back, I'll see if I can find them again

Want to see that. +1 :)

I've wondered about the effect the dead flowers, I call them `skirts`, have on the growing pod. I tend to free the pods of their skirts if I see them. But I've not grown scorpions before.

It's not so much the pod but the plant that produces the pod. If isolated I won't matter if you get the seeds from the pod that looks like the trait you want or not. The same plant produces the same genetics. That's not to say an isolated plant won't produce some different looking plants because of recombinant dna. But the more you continue to isolate the plants that are producing the kinds of pods you like the more likely it will keep producing them.

Tails are cool. But I've noticed when the scorpion pods don't have tails, their shapes resemble those of the Douglah. I wonder if this is a sign of their breeding. Wouldn't it be nice to breed a red Douglah with warts and all.

Tails are cool. But I've noticed when the scorpion pods don't have tails, their shapes resemble those of the Douglah. I wonder if this is a sign of their breeding. Wouldn't it be nice to breed a red Douglah with warts and all.
That would just basically be a 7 pod(red) wouldn't it?

From what I have heard, each pod is like a person having a kid. They have slightly different DNA even though theyre from the same mama. So, like others have said, if you select the pods you like then that DNA will be stronger, more dominant. However, the ressesive (Spelling?) traits will still be in the DNA which will give a possibility of none tailed pods.

Hope this helps :o)

xox Nicole

Back