Trinidad Scorpions - slow growth

I have several Scorpion plants that germinated and sprouted well, but have seemingly stopped growing with 2 sets of 1/2 in. leavers on them. I have some in 18 oz cups and some in 3 gal. pots. The soil is a mix of rapidgrow potting soil and sphagnum. Any ideas why the growth may have stopped?

Thanks,

Steve

Could be a bunch of things... How long ago were they planted? Are they inside or outside? How much light do they get.

Try posting a pic or two of the plants and I'm pretty sure SOMEONE here will have a few answers or suggestions. You've come to the right place!

I see it is your first post so  :welcome: to the best pepper forums I have ever found! And +1 to what Chico said, the people here are amazingly knowledgeable and helpful and a few pics would help them to try to help you quite a bit. 

What is your lighting situation like?

At what temperature are the seedlings being kept?

How often do you water and with what?

Have your fertilised and if so with what, how much and how often?

Yes, Scorpions can be relatively slow growers when compared with other chilis like Jalapenos or Cayennes.  A description of your conditions + pictures will result in a better diagnosis.

IMAG0855.jpg
IMAG0854.jpg
IMAG0853.jpg
IMAG0852.jpg
ff

3 gallon pots are outside in NY 60% shade, 60 - 80 degree days, water when surface gets dry, outdoor plants did get overwatered by a rain once (tap otherwise). Cups are indoors in a window with 50% shade. All planted approx 35 days ago. No additional ferterlizer to what is included in the soil.

Thanks for the welcomes :)

More questions than answers so far! They were planted 35 days ago... when did they germinate and or develop the first set of leaves? Most super hots tend to be slow to germinate and to grow... they do look small, but they may not be THAT far behind the curve. My scorps and bhuts were very slow to start and then at some point the scorps took off. I'm still waiting for that to happen to my bhuts!

With regards to watering, something I learned later than I would have liked is that "dry surface" doesn't mean "dry soil"... It's still possible to over water even if the soil surface is dry.

At this stage, most will also recommend "bottom watering" as it helps build a strong root system while avoiding fungus or mold on the surface.

I also should have said originally... WELCOME!

Looks and sounds like a combo of wet/cold root zone causing slower growth to me. 60-80 degree day heat means much cooler nights plus they are hardly getting any direct sun warmth in that time if they are in 60% shade.
I personally would get a flouro light and get them inside under it for at least 12-14 hours a day with a gentle fan blowing over them until they are a little more established and don't overwater

I had a Trinidad scorpion butch T plant a couple years ago that just totally stalled at about 8" high. It would not grow no matter what I did, full sun, partial sun, full shade, indoors under lights, outdoors, no luck. I was too stubborn to give up on it so I over wintered it and the next spring it took off like a rocket. It was 6' tall by the time I chopped it mid season. I personally hate the flavour and saw no point in keeping that monster growing.

So to not answer your question at, sometimes superhots are finicky. Don't give up and they will take off eventually.

Back