• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Trinidad Scorps and 7 Pods?

I found an interesting article by Jim Duffy, who believes that the Trinidad Scorpion and Trinidad 7 Pod are actually the same chile...just differing variations of each other.

He shows photos of pods grown on his isolated plants and in some cases it is difficult to tell which pod is which variation.

Because Trinidad is such a small island, he argues that cross breeding was practically inevitable and unavoidable over the thousands of years that these peppers have been growing there.

And I have noticed that there is quite a range of pod shape variability and similarity between the Trinidad scorps and 7 Pods shown by growers on this forum as well.

Even Butch Taylor of "Butch T" fame chimes in with his thought on the matter.

Interesting food for thought to say the least, no?

http://www.fiery-foods.com/index.php/pepper-profiles/153-chinense-species/3024-trinidad-scorpion-or-trinidad-7-pot-both

Cheers,

Doug
dvg

I have one of each still producing in a green house and if I pick them and place in the same bowl, there's no way i could tell them apart. The odd scorp has an exceptionally long stinger

Flavor, texture and burn is very different between 7's and Scorpions to me. The argument makes sense but the empirical evidence keeps me from completely believing it. I guess they will just have to genetically test them to be sure. Call Dr. Bosland LOL

Not to knock the guy but Jim Duffy doesnt know what hes talking about in that article, the Morouga Blend is a hybrid (cross) and not a scorpion "strain" , also Im pretty sure the "SR" strain is different then a cardi strain, heres the cardi catalog

and if we want to get really technical Ive had scotch bonnets that grew tails, does that mean its the same?

Butches statement summed it well.

If there is room to differentiate between a Red Savina Habanero, and a Caribbean Red Habanero, I'm sure there is room for 7Pot and Trinidad Scorpion.

the taste is much different between the strains. i have 2 scorp plants and a few red 7pods going from seeds that i got from jim duffy. they are entirely different. the red 7s are naga shaped like the red 7 that neil tested last year. i also have a pile of scorpions on the table that i got from judy(pepperlover). in mr. duffys scorpions there is a lot of variation on the same plant. with judy's scorpions there is consistancy in all the pods other than a slight size difference between some of the pods. this has me curious. i have tasted judys scorps but jim duffys are still green. this article has me curious to try his. his red 7pod is completely consistant, 2 inch naga shaped pods with a small nipple at the end of some of them. there is no way that they are the same as scorpions.

the taste is much different between the strains. i have 2 scorp plants and a few red 7pods going from seeds that i got from jim duffy. they are entirely different. the red 7s are naga shaped like the red 7 that neil tested last year. i also have a pile of scorpions on the table that i got from judy(pepperlover). in mr. duffys scorpions there is a lot of variation on the same plant. with judy's scorpions there is consistancy in all the pods other than a slight size difference between some of the pods. this has me curious. i have tasted judys scorps but jim duffys are still green. this article has me curious to try his. his red 7pod is completely consistant, 2 inch naga shaped pods with a small nipple at the end of some of them. there is no way that they are the same as scorpions.

those 7's sounds exactly the way "7" is supposed to look, now the funny thing is those seeds came from the guy trying to say scorps and 7's are the same plant :rofl: and then at the end of the article he encouraged people to just make up "cool" names for them, thats the kinda thing that cause problems when someone is trying to collect seeds, you end up with something that u think is unique when its just a plain ol' hab that someone decided to satrt call "super atomic rocket habanero" or something and then they start passing out seeds with a BS name on it.

Some interesting and for the most part fair comments there guys. Thanks for your thoughts here.

My intent when I posted this topic was to stimulate some thought and discussion among some of those here that have experience with growing and/or testing the different scorps and 7 pods out there.

If anything, this again brings to light that there are indeed some interesting characters out there in the chile head world.

And Mr. Jim (Habanero) Duffy is no exception.

http://www.refiningfirechiles.com/

dvg

Some interesting and for the most part fair comments there guys. Thanks for your thoughts here.

My intent when I posted this topic was to stimulate some thought and discussion among some of those here that have experience with growing and/or testing the different scorps and 7 pods out there.

If anything, this again brings to light that there are indeed some interesting characters out there in the chile head world.

And Mr. Jim (Habanero) Duffy is no exception.

http://www.refiningfirechiles.com/

dvg

I got seeds from him a few years back, kinda pricey, he's also a member here , dont know if he comes around much but his nickname is habanero500 I believe

totally agreed mojo! when i bought these seeds i was not a member of this website and this seemed to be the only way to obtain these strains. the gut was short over the phone and didn't seem to want to deal with a potential customer but i didn't want to use paypal or buy from overseas and risk customs taking what i paid for. i'm fairly pleased with the pods produced by his seeds but had i known his outlook on these strains and had i found another means of obtaining these strains i would have been hesitant to buy them. especially with him giving me the brush off on the phone. nothing pisses me off more than that.if i would have known about some of the great seed sources out there now things would have been different. thanks for posting this thread doug. still , no regrets this year at all.

totally agreed mojo! when i bought these seeds i was not a member of this website and this seemed to be the only way to obtain these strains. the gut was short over the phone and didn't seem to want to deal with a potential customer but i didn't want to use paypal or buy from overseas and risk customs taking what i paid for. i'm fairly pleased with the pods produced by his seeds but had i known his outlook on these strains and had i found another means of obtaining these strains i would have been hesitant to buy them. especially with him giving me the brush off on the phone. nothing pisses me off more than that.if i would have known about some of the great seed sources out there now things would have been different. thanks for posting this thread doug. still , no regrets this year at all.

Yeah I agree, I got good results with his seeds last year, but now I pretty much buy all my seeds from Neil now at Hippy Seed CO or Judy at http://pepperlover.com

Neil and Judy both have great customer service and are always a pleasure to deal with and between the two of them you should be able to find anything you want

Yeah I agree, I got good results with his seeds last year, but now I pretty much buy all my seeds from Neil now at Hippy Seed CO or Judy at http://pepperlover.com

Neil and Judy both have great customer service and are always a pleasure to deal with and between the two of them you should be able to find anything you want

Totally in agreement there Mojo. I purchased next year's seed from both Judy and Neil. Judy sent out loads of bonus seed and Neil sent along some dried scorp and 7 pot skins to try.

Just curious, but have you or anyone you know ordered seed from Semillas? They have an incredible seed selection and i was wondering if you've heard any feedback from this company.

http://www.semillas.de/home/strato/www/me/www.merle-online.de/htdocs/cgi-bin/shop_en/shop.cgi

regards,

Doug
dvg

I have bought from them before. Never a problem getting my stuff even though it comes from Spain. Great selection and good prices. The Red Fatalii turned out to be a bright yellow fatalii instead, but 1 wrong out of maybe 15 I got from them isn't too bad.

I have bought from them before. Never a problem getting my stuff even though it comes from Spain. Great selection and good prices. The Red Fatalii turned out to be a bright yellow fatalii instead, but 1 wrong out of maybe 15 I got from them isn't too bad.

Thanks for your feedback JJS7741.

After looking through that very impressive seed selection of theirs, I'm going to have to make a list to send out to them.;)

Thanks again for all of your replies.

Cheers,

Doug
dvg

great info. i will give judy my business forever and i love neil to death he has been the most inspiration that anyone ever has. i talk to him at least once a week! you hit the nail right on the head mojo! those are the 2 best seed merchants available. i'll give that 100% . those 2 are the best. no doubt!

I read somewhere that Butch Taylor was growing out the Jonah strain and noticed a pod variation, kept the seeds and that's where the record setting ButchT Scorp came from. Is there a Jonah TS strain? Because the Jonah strain I'm familiar with is the one on hippyseedco's site that is a 7 pod strain. I received some ButchT cultivar Jonah seeds (smokemaster is a righteous dude), so I'm curious as to what exactly that pepper is.

I'm also curious how some people get this insane tails to grow on their scorps. Is this something like the petter pepper where you underwater the plant and the stress causes the shape?

Back