• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

trying to prepare my first starter station

Ok so I'm trying to set up a station to start my peppers indoors. I'm looking for good success rate, as well as cost efficiency.

I'm window shopping until I know exactly what to get, though I know it varies. I'm looking at the 10 pack of 1020 trays with domes, but should I get holes or no holes?
I'm also looking at the 10 pack of 72 cell prop trays. Other than that I would just need starter soil, mat and lighting right?
I'm thinking of going cfl 6500k since I have a few adjustable lamps to spare.

Could I sub in 1020 trays with plastic wrap and save money on the 1020 trays with domes?

Basically if anybody could give me a good shopping list that's not over the top, that'd be great lol

Any advice or specific links is greatly appreciated!

don't really need domes imo.

what are you going to transplant in after the 72cells?

1020 trays,
plugs or prop trays(optional),
containers (3in pots may i suggest)
soil (promix is good)
water
light (may i suggest t8 shoplights)
heating mat (optional if your area isn't warm enough already..)

Well based on what I've read, I'll either transplant to solo cups or nursery pots. After that I'm gonna have to stock up on 5 gal buckets or build a raised bed. Maybe I can start with a smaller number, say, 36 cell tray.
I would need to transplant first right after cotys right?

I germinated most of mine in Dixie cups as I had lost the 6 cell trays I had bought to use. After I started most of my seeds I of course found the trays and planted the rest in them. I just used plastic wrap to cover. So far the ones in the real trays are doing better than the ones in Dixie cups both in germination rate and overall plant health. The dirt in the Dixie cups dried very fast and about 6 seedlings dried out to the point of dying even with regular watering.

As for transplanting, I have started transplanting the larger seedlings into regular sized solo cups. They have two or three sets of true leaves. They can stay in the trays for a while. I poked holes in the bottoms with a metal skewer and then put down a layer of gravel to aid in drainage. I plan to keep them in these cups all the way to planting outside in 5 gallon pots.

Oh and as for lights I'm using two 2 bulb 4' T8 fixtures, but I see you already have fixtures for other lights so use what you have. If you find you need more light I would suggest either a 2 or 4 bulb 4' T8 fixture. I built a frame out of pvc that sits on the table where the plants are, but there are other plans for frames online.

These are the trays I'm using. You can also get 700+ for 18 dollars instead

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BRQM432/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1421782173&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=41oDyzyk24L&ref=plSrch

Those trays are a steal! Thanks for that link. I'm actually eyeballing a 4' two bulb t8 fixture right now, it's only 20 at home depot.
What's a good, widely available starter mix? And for how far into growth do I use it?

I started with Miracle Grow seed starting mix. Might also have moisture control in the name. It's the blue bag. I used that for germinating, then used MG moisture control potting soil for transplant into solo cups. It's been working pretty well, but one problem is if it dries on the top water can have a hard time penetrating and soaking down. I usually squeeze the tray cell or cup a bit to create cracks in the surface. Once it's moist there isn't a problem with soaking through.

Awesome that sounds great!
So I just bought a 4 ft shoplight ballast along with 2 32w 6500k t8 bulbs. The label on the 2 pack says 2750 lumens. My question is, at 3" above seedlings, will this provide any kind of heat for them? The temps are kind of erratic right now, highs in 40s last week and today it was 73. But I'm planning on setting up my station in the garage, it's always a bit warmer than outside air. I'm trying to decide if I will still need a heat mat or if these lights, maybe inside a makeshift tent, will suffice

When I only used one 2 bulb 4' fixture my plants stayed around 70, and at night my house was kept at around 65 for when the lights are off and the plants seem to be doing alright.

Ok, I went ahead and got a hydro farm heat mat. If it keeps at 10-20 above ambient I should be good as long as the garage doesn't get below 40 or so. Should I keep heat mat under sprouts as well or just seeds until they pop?

I just keep mine under germinating seeds since my lights seem to keep them warm enough. Seedlings don't need to be as warm as germinating seeds, but if your garage gets too cold the lights won't be enough. You'll just have to test it once everything is set up

Back