• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Tulle and Aphids...

From everything I read, neem oil, Dawn, garlic, etc., are not insecticides but rather repellents or something to eradicate creatures on plants. I want something to kill them, their larvae and even their ancestors! I have only 15 plants I'm overwintering. If I can destroy every aphid, or aphid to be in the soil and on those plants, then I shouldn't have any trouble with seedlings, as I won't be using dirt, only good potting soil.

Mike

the dish soap is an insecticide for soft bodied bugs, it does something to dehydrate them i think, but of course only when you spray right onto them.

if you want something serious get some chewing tobacco and boil that up to add to the mix, nicotine is a serious insecticide...make sure and wash your peppers really well tho...;)

Soap and neem will clog the pores and kill the bugs if sprayed directly on them, garlic, onion and chiles will only help deter them. Pyrethrum is about the only insecticide that I'd use on peppers if you plan on eating them.

willard3 said:
I know another chile grower who is successful controlling aphids with lady bugs.

When I get aphids, I throw all the plants in the greenhouse out, clean thoroughly the whole greenhouse and let it sit this way 30-60 days. I then replant with no aphids.

willard3, Have you ever tried lady bugs? I would think that with an enclosed greenhouse they would take care of the problem within days. Works very well for me even outdoors with no way to contain the ladybugs.

Dale

I have tried ladybugs, but my greenhouse is isolated and, after the ladybugs eat all the aphids, they starve and die. They do eat the aphids. I am a hobby grower and the loss of an entire chile crop is not a problem; I have plenty of dried chiles and seed, so 90 days doesn't cause OCD to kick in.

The other problem with aphids is they lay eggs in soil and will recur if the soil is not sterilized. Control and/or elimination of aphids are two entirely different things.

I can eliminate them by my regimen.

OK since this is a thread about tulle (don't want to hijack your thread Josh, just want to keep it going.) who has used tulle or other fabric to make isolation bags for thier plants? I need some ideas for covering some plants for next season to keep the pepper maggots from getting to my pods please share your plans or ideas for making these bags. I guess they would suit two purposes, to get pure seed also.

Dale

Dale,

Have never used it or any other "safe sex" method of protecting plants, but I would think to keep bugs out it would be an exercise in futility. Unless you are practically going to strangle the plant, beasties can crawl up the stalk or find a hole in the covering. Not to mention, as the plant grows, I would think the covering would have to be adjusted, not to mention removed and then replaced when you want to pick some pods.

Merry Christmas,

Mike

wordwiz said:
Dale,

Have never used it or any other "safe sex" method of protecting plants, but I would think to keep bugs out it would be an exercise in futility. Unless you are practically going to strangle the plant, beasties can crawl up the stalk or find a hole in the covering. Not to mention, as the plant grows, I would think the covering would have to be adjusted, not to mention removed and then replaced when you want to pick some pods.

Merry Christmas,

Mike

Mike, the only thing I need to keep off the plants are the pepper maggot flies and I was thinking that some sort of drawstring on the bottom would allow me to keep it somewhat tight around the stem but not to tight. I think I could get away with only having to change to a larger size bag once.

Dale

thepodpiper said:
OK since this is a thread about tulle (don't want to hijack your thread Josh, just want to keep it going.) who has used tulle or other fabric to make isolation bags for thier plants? I need some ideas for covering some plants for next season to keep the pepper maggots from getting to my pods please share your plans or ideas for making these bags. I guess they would suit two purposes, to get pure seed also.

Dale

Not at all Dale. I actually plan on trying to keep some plants pure next season. Michael's craft store sells tulle that is 4 1/2 feet wide by 30 yards. Probably just going to cut a predetermined amount, fold it in half so it will have a circumference of say 9 ft., and sew the two sides leaving the bottom open. I will only have 4 plants in the ground and the rest will be in pots so I plan on covering the entire plant by pulling the tulle sack all the way down to the pot. Then I can secure the tulle with something under the lip of the pot. I plan on covering a few plants with these sacks when they get buds and just wait until the plants set a bunch of pods until I remove them. It should work for you as well with the pepper maggots. I think they only come out for say 1 1/2 months. So you could put the sacks on when your plants are flowering and remove the sacks when picking ripe pods. Take them in your garage or something when you remove the tulle so no flies can get to the other pods. That is atleast my best suggestion. Good luck. My sister had pepper maggots last season and they were terrible.

I had Aphids from the end of the 08 season, from bringing plants in and out...

They were loaded, and I cut them all down, waxed the tops, inspected every stem and pot to remove all aphids. I then soaked mulch in really hot water for hours, and finally poured hot water in the pots up to the rim.

It worked like a charm, Hot water didnt hurt roots as I had feared and every plant is springing back nice and not an aphid in sight.

Since I started these guys from seed in Jan of 08, I have a two month jump start on the 09 season. (Seeds Germinated end of Jan-08, Cutbacks resprouted beginning of Dec-08) :)

willard3 said:
When I get aphids, I throw all the plants in the greenhouse out, clean thoroughly the whole greenhouse and let it sit this way 30-60 days. I then replant with no aphids.

yep sounds drastic! but to each their own, you also have the benefit of growing all year long.

Josh said:
Not at all Dale. I actually plan on trying to keep some plants pure next season. Michael's craft store sells tulle that is 4 1/2 feet wide by 30 yards. Probably just going to cut a predetermined amount, fold it in half so it will have a circumference of say 9 ft., and sew the two sides leaving the bottom open. I will only have 4 plants in the ground and the rest will be in pots so I plan on covering the entire plant by pulling the tulle sack all the way down to the pot. Then I can secure the tulle with something under the lip of the pot. I plan on covering a few plants with these sacks when they get buds and just wait until the plants set a bunch of pods until I remove them. It should work for you as well with the pepper maggots. I think they only come out for say 1 1/2 months. So you could put the sacks on when your plants are flowering and remove the sacks when picking ripe pods. Take them in your garage or something when you remove the tulle so no flies can get to the other pods. That is atleast my best suggestion. Good luck. My sister had pepper maggots last season and they were terrible.

I tried this last season 2008, if I understand you right.
you plan on having no opening for the top & use the tulle to fit around the plant then seal at container.
if this is what you're thinking of doing it didnt work that great for me cuz
1st - I misjudge the ammount needed = plants being kinda cramped.
2nd - I didnt have big rubber bands, so used duct tape, not a smart idea if you plan on reusing it :lol::oops:

what I found that might work better is to allow PLENTY of tulle to wrap around the container & have it placed short length going up/down (4.5FT high) then tape/seal the ends that connect.
rubber band the bottom to container, top part just rubberband it shut.
also you might need some kind of stake to keep the tulle up & not interfere with its growth (or make it work harder to push against the tulle to grow) put a wade of duct tape on the tip of the stake so it doesnt rip the tulle

I think this would allow enough room for the plant to grow/spread. the way I did it example take a piece of paper & just cover your finger. theres was so many extra folds in the tulle to make sure sealed & then the height issue - 4.5FT in half figure is only 2FT high at most.

dont know if that made sense what I said. good luck to ya, I plan on trying it again 09 season.

chilehunter said:
what I found that might work better is to allow PLENTY of tulle to wrap around the container & have it placed short length going up/down (4.5FT high) then tape/seal the ends that connect.
rubber band the bottom to container, top part just rubberband it shut.
also you might need some kind of stake to keep the tulle up & not interfere with its growth (or make it work harder to push against the tulle to grow) put a wade of duct tape on the tip of the stake so it doesnt rip the tulle

I think this would allow enough room for the plant to grow/spread. the way I did it example take a piece of paper & just cover your finger. theres was so many extra folds in the tulle to make sure sealed & then the height issue - 4.5FT in half figure is only 2FT high at most.

dont know if that made sense what I said. good luck to ya, I plan on trying it again 09 season.

Yea you made sense.
I am probably still going to use the 4.5 lenght horizontally and not vertically. I figure sewed together it will be 9' (a couple inches shorter for the stiching) which means the diameter would be around 2.8'. Obviously it depends on the variety, but it would have been enough for my habs last season when they first flowered. At the end of the season definitely not but I am hoping it will work long enough to set enough pods to have enough pure seeds to save, trade, and give out. In terms of staking, definitely. Not only for the tulle but for the sake of the plants I plan on staking. Being that I plan on having them covered in tulle for a short time I figure some type of twine or string will work fine. It shouldn't be out there long enough to rot through. Putting something on the end of the stakes to prevent tearing is a good idea. Especially in high winds. I definitely want you to keep me updated on how things go with you this season. Hopefully we will both have success stories.

RichardK said:
It worked like a charm, Hot water didnt hurt roots as I had feared and every plant is springing back nice and not an aphid in sight.

QUOTE]

Oh wow. How hot was the water. Boiling? How hot can the roots take?

My plants will be in the ground so i need to secure it at the base of the plant and this is what i came up with so far. After cutting the tulle I will fold over the top and bottom edges about 1/2 in. or so with a string inside the fold (to be used as a drawstring) then i will glue the other two edges together making a tube shape. then this way it will keep the emerging pepper maggot flies from entering at the base of the plant and I can also access the plant from the top without having to take off the bag. Gluing or sewing? I have'nt made up my mind yet I will ask my cousin the seamstress to help out on that end of the project.

Dale

thepodpiper said:
My plants will be in the ground so i need to secure it at the base of the plant and this is what i came up with so far. After cutting the tulle I will fold over the top and bottom edges about 1/2 in. or so with a string inside the fold (to be used as a drawstring) then i will glue the other two edges together making a tube shape. then this way it will keep the emerging pepper maggot flies from entering at the base of the plant and I can also access the plant from the top without having to take off the bag. Gluing or sewing? I have'nt made up my mind yet I will ask my cousin the seamstress to help out on that end of the project.

Dale

Sounds good Dale. Maybe your cousin can sew a zipper in at the top for you. The drawstring is a good plan. It will probably make it a lot easier. That might be an idea for my bags as well. That way the tulle cannot be pulled out from underneath the string.

Back