• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Turbo TL lighting

Hi all,

I'm in the marked for a relatively cheap grow light. I currently have a double TL fixture with two 18W 24" TL tubes (T8 - 590mm) 6500k with ~2200 lumen. Now I'm looking for a relatively compact (=more light per square feet) light that covers about the same area with more lumen.

My search ended up with one lamp that I like in particular;

The Secret Jardin TNEON turbo TL lamps. Its relatively compact with a larger light area compared to a 125w CFL bulb. I was mostly interested in the 2x 55w versions (they also come in 2x36w which seems to be insufficient.. and 2x75w which costs $$$ on the energy bill). The dimensions are TN 2x55W Dimension B x L x H: 570x210x100 mm and have two 55W bulbs with about 3800 Lumen per bulb = 7600 lumen. The come in colors 2900K (blooming), 6500K (growing) and 9500K (cutting). They are clearly intended for cannabis growers, but they seems quite affordable (€50 for a fixture WITH two 6500k bulbs). It would use for about €100-110 of energy a year (figuring it's 8 months of 18/6 use)

My intended use is for growing up seedlings during the winter (October thru May). Would 7600 lumen over that area be to much? Should I go with 2x 6500k or should I for example add one of the 2900 or 9500k bulbs?

The fixture will be around 50cm (20 inches) above the grow table. Depending on the used pots, the plants will have about 20 to 35cm (8 to 13 inches) of space to grow  before they hit the bulbs (I plan to top/prune until they can go out.. and yes.. I realise they will become to big to stay under there). Allthough I might make a shelf so that they have a lot more space to last the winter months.

Can some of the light Gurus shed some light on my questions?

There is a club for PLL lights on IC, if you can get past the stonerisms. It's a rather obscure form of lighting, though still effective. I always mix spectrum myself, studies and other sciencey stuff aside, it comes down to personal preference/thinking.

The best thing about pll is the replacement costs for the tubes the worst thing is the fittings costs they're quite expensive.

They're good lights certainly on par with a good tube for efficiency and beat standard 20w cfl.

I used to use 20w cfl's happily but the ones they make now are so poor quality it's just not worth it anymore but 20w cfl still make excellent clone lights.

I'm going with led over hps for growing my seedlings on to something I can pot into my plant pots and put under a 600w hps because I've been given the led to test.

queequeg152 said:
Plls are cheap? since when?
are you talking about the cheap shitty no name brands or what?

Replacement lamps are £3 each for 36w phillips in the UK it's the fittings that are expensive here.

a 20w CFL often costs more than a 36w pll in the UK.

well yea. a cfl has its own power supply and all that unnecessary crap. you wont EVER find me defending cfl bulbs. they are stupid for home lighting.

.. but compared to t5 bulbs? in the states at least, i can get like a box of 12 t5 bulbs. nice ge 5500k bulbs for like 3-4 dollars a bulb.

PLL's are closer to 7 for the sylvania or osram bulbs... yea you can get ultra cheap ones, but they are like... terribly inferior in my experiance. fading noticably in just like 6 weeks. 

Back