Turkey Day is near!

Got two for one on the birds...Wont say how much though cause it was more than $8.00!
-
I'll be smoking it with mesquite at a hot 350ish. Advice for anyone new to smoking birds, nothing worse than a bird cooked low-n-slow, the meat becomes a few shades away from oatmeal mushy. Cook it the same as you would in an oven. Probably wont fuss with the meat much as I want the versatility of left overs this or that.
-
Making some collards and mashed yamatoes (sweet potato)...and the ever popular stove-top-stuffin'.
-
All to be washed down with multiple Redhook Long Hammers.
-
Just me and the Misses...no nutty family to deal with this time around. Just peace, quiet and slightly drunken stupor. Life is good.

Hoping to avoid the craziness of my fam as well. Not sure I'll be successful though lol. But I will have cold beers flowing, watching some pigskin.

Kikaida said:

Just me and the Misses...no nutty family to deal with this time around. Just peace, quiet and slightly drunken stupor. Life is good.

Ozzy2001 said:
Hoping to avoid the craziness of my fam as well. Not sure I'll be successful though lol. But I will have cold beers flowing, watching some pigskin.

There are two types of family members in this world. The ones that look for any excuse to get together as a group in one house, and the normal ones.    
     I will be spending Thanksgiving with a big, loud, incapable of relaxing group of the former.

Anybody got a fifth of bourbon I can "borrow"?

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

There are two types of family members in this world. The ones that look for any excuse to get together as a group in one house, and the normal ones.    

I will be spending Thanksgiving with a big, loud, incapable of relaxing group of the former.

Anybody got a fifth of bourbon I can "borrow"?

I'll toss one back for ya, hang in there, you'll have a few days to recuperate.

This is the one holiday I pushed to get out of the family obligations. I love my mom, but food is not her thing.

3 day dry brined turkey rubbed with garlic, sage, lemon butter; stuffing with sourdough, pumpernickel, rye bread cubes, apples, hot Italian sausage; garlic mashed potatoes; cider gravy; bacon roasted Brussel sprouts; buttermilk brown sugar pie. Oh, and a can of Libby's cranberry sauce for my honey.

Just us, the couch and the tv. Perfect!

And a morning bloody, hard cider and some wine.

Love brussels!!!!!! Roast them with thinly sliced onions and olive oil, then in a pan with bacon fat, give them a quick saute with finely diced pancetta, and serve... mmmmm.

The Hot Pepper said:
Love brussels!!!!!! Roast them with thinly sliced onions and olive oil, then in a pan with bacon fat, give them a quick saute with finely diced pancetta, and serve... mmmmm.

Don't forget a sprinkle of balsamic and sea salt with that pancetta (or bacon)

I love them halved, tossed in olive oil with seasalt and roasted with either pancetta or bacon. Real lite spritz with balsamic just before done to reduce it to a glaze. 

Kikaida said:
Got two for one on the birds...Wont say how much though cause it was more than $8.00!
-
I'll be smoking it with mesquite at a hot 350ish. Advice for anyone new to smoking birds, nothing worse than a bird cooked low-n-slow, the meat becomes a few shades away from oatmeal mushy. Cook it the same as you would in an oven. Probably wont fuss with the meat much as I want the versatility of left overs this or that.
-
Making some collards and mashed yamatoes (sweet potato)...and the ever popular stove-top-stuffin'.
-
All to be washed down with multiple Redhook Long Hammers.
-
Smoked tons of turkeys and chickens not once have I ever had a bird come out mushy!!!! You are doing something wrong. Smoke roasting is an excellent method if your not confident in the low and slow method. If your final product is coming out mushy it most likely been overcooked.

Good luck my friend and gobble gobble :)

Yummy, smoked turkey breast :) Mushy means you bought some deli turkey that isn't really turkey hahahah

11054325_10203647995744823_5624537012022163526_o.jpg

oldsalty said:
Smoked tons of turkeys and chickens not once have I ever had a bird come out mushy!!!! You are doing something wrong. Smoke roasting is an excellent method if your not confident in the low and slow method. If your final product is coming out mushy it most likely been overcooked.

Mine come out great now...the advice was for newbs to smoking so they don't make the same mistakes I did early on, birds are not meant for slow-n-low. :P

Kikaida said:

Mine come out great now...the advice was for newbs to smoking so they don't make the same mistakes I did early on, birds are not meant for slow-n-low. :P
I always cook birds at 225 - 250 and NEVER have had the issue you describe. 

Mushy turkey believe it or not often means dry/overcooked. That's when you cut into white meat for example and instead of slicing and it is juicy and tender it sort of crumbles and each piece when you bite breaks down into this mush... that is overcooked. Hard to explain in words but the texture is solid and crumbly, and turns to mush when cutting or eating. Overcooked.

You said oatmeal. Yup you are overcooking.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I always cook birds at 225 - 250 and NEVER have had the issue you describe.
JHP you are a kindred spirit behind the ships wheel we call the smoker!!! Beautiful looking turkey there brother of the smoke!!
The Hot Pepper said:
Mushy turkey believe it or not often means dry/overcooked. That's when you cut into white meat for example and instead of slicing and it is juicy and tender it sort of crumbles and each piece when you bite breaks down into this mush... that is overcooked. Hard to explain in words but the texture is solid and crumbly, and turns to mush when cutting or eating. Overcooked.

You said oatmeal. Yup you are overcooking.
Yes Boss you got it !!! :) As of course pointed out in Oldsalty's earlier post! Hahaha

Mealy is the word I was looking for. Mealy texture turkey that turns to mush... overcooked.

Anyway hope that helps I think you were overcooking it.

oldsalty said:
Yes Boss you got it !!! :) As of course pointed out in Oldsalty's earlier post! Hahaha

Oh I will go read.

oldsalty said:
If your final product is coming out mushy it most likely been overcooked.

Ah yes. :)

Back