• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Two quick questions re: Readiness of pods

1. Is a habanero yellow point completely yellow when ready to harvest? If noe, what does it look like when ready?

2. Does a Casabel look like a large fatalii, but change from a strong royal purple when almost ripe? What colour does it finish at?

Ta!

CASABEL
Source: Central Mexico. Heat: 4. Also known as the chile bola. Named for the rattling sound it makes when shaken (in Spanish, cascabel means rattle). Dark reddish brown, smooth, and round in shape, measuring about 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Thick fleshed and medium-hot, with a slightly acidic and tannic quality. The rich flavors are a little smoky and woodsy with tobacco and nutty tones, rather like an old red Bordeaux. The tannic heat is noticeable at the back of the throat. Wonderful in salsas, sauces, soups, and stews.

Jeez, mate - you're a poet!

Did yours go from that deep purple? I just want to be sure the plant is correctly labelled...that said, if the fruit is indeed round, mine is no Casabel!

Anyone know what it could be, judging from the description?

Pepperfreak - thanks!

I have read research that says when the peppers start turning to their ripe color, the capsaicin content is maximum...after the fruit continues to ripen, some of the capsaicin is converted to sugar or another compound...can't remember what it is...

Yup...Cascabels are definitely round...round as a marble...

Thanks lads - I'll post a few pics if the weather ever brightens up. These look just like Fatalii (but not yellow) to this lil' African....;-)

Back