• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Two sick overwintered plants, give them up?

I ma believer of pruning, when necessary. My theory is that the energy that the plant uses to feed and keep they leaves alive can be used for new production.

Think of it this way, there are as many roots as there are leaves, by removing sick leaves, you will now have more roots per leaf. WIN!

I could be horribly mistaken but that's what goes through my mind. Hey, it seemed to work for you.

I've always wondered whether lower branch leaves are a drain or a benefit to the plants nutrient economy. Obviously they take "energy" and nutrients from the plant to build and maintain, but the whole point of leaves is photosynthesis.

but the whole point of leaves is photosynthesis.

This is true! Thats why I only take off sick leaves. I feel like if the leaves have to fight off infections or are all jacked up, they need to be replaced with other leaves that can produce chlorophyll more efficiently. And remember its the roots the deliver nutrients to the leaves so they can make chlorophyll. If you have more root per leaf, that means more nutrients to the new leaves so that can grow faster.

I don't have a PHD in botany, I could be totally off with this statement, This is just what I think.

As for lower leaves I say keep them untill they are getting the light blocked by the upper leaves, however, the lower leafs can do special things ;)
like be a spot for new nodes to grow. Look in to LTS (low stress training)

Hear is my black pearl that I tied down like a hot little....
CIMG0060.jpg

^^^Notice how the lower leaves have now become new growth,
hear is the same plant 2 weeks later
2012-05-19_13-15-25_834.jpg

and its quite a bit bigger now 2 weeks later again.

Just stepped by this thread today thinking nobody had written anything. To my surprise a lot of comments haha :)

I've always wondered whether lower branch leaves are a drain or a benefit to the plants nutrient economy. Obviously they take "energy" and nutrients from the plant to build and maintain, but the whole point of leaves is photosynthesis.
It's an interesting thought that I've processed multiple times before. Most of the time the bottom branches seem doormat doing nothing. On my Fatalii in flood and drain system one of the branches went straight up taller than the whole plant and started to produce flowers.

Amazing recovery slash looks like in no time you should start getting pods.
Sure has grown surprisingly well. The Thai Dragon is way ahead of the Tabasco though even though I cut them at the same time.

Great comeback story!!!!!

This is true! Thats why I only take off sick leaves. I feel like if the leaves have to fight off infections or are all jacked up, they need to be replaced with other leaves that can produce chlorophyll more efficiently. And remember its the roots the deliver nutrients to the leaves so they can make chlorophyll. If you have more root per leaf, that means more nutrients to the new leaves so that can grow faster.

I don't have a PHD in botany, I could be totally off with this statement, This is just what I think.

As for lower leaves I say keep them untill they are getting the light blocked by the upper leaves, however, the lower leafs can do special things ;)
like be a spot for new nodes to grow. Look in to LTS (low stress training)

Hear is my black pearl that I tied down like a hot little....
CIMG0060.jpg

^^^Notice how the lower leaves have now become new growth,
hear is the same plant 2 weeks later
2012-05-19_13-15-25_834.jpg

and its quite a bit bigger now 2 weeks later again.

I think you're spot on even if you don't have a PHD in botany. The brightest minds don't have to have fancy education hehe

Really appreciate your experiment, making it bush out very nicely but holding it down. I would love to try that some time next season, kinda too late now.

Going to read up on the low stress training method you mentioned :)

Um yeah its primarily used on cannabis :high: so be warned... But hey it works on peppers to!

All sorts of vids on YouTube about it, but they all show cannabis, hintz why I don't just post one on here :shh:

Finally getting rewarded for not trashing my two overwintered plants. They didn't grow very big, I realize that's because of the pot size.

The Tabasco kinda stopped growing again but I transplanted in straight in the ground so it's starting to develop again. Too little time to get any pods on the Tabasco though.

Here's the pictures.

Thai Dragon
img2787rj.jpg

Tabasco
img2789zq.jpg

Back