• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Two Trinidad Scorpions in same pot

Hi all could someone advise me on whether to have two Trinidad Scorpions in the same pot. I plan on bringing them in for the winter. My guess probably not but I would seek some expert advice before I cut one off. They are about one and a half feet tall now and looks like it is going to produce peppers soon.   

Thanks   :P

Caveman007 said:
Hi all could someone advise me on whether to have two Trinidad Scorpions in the same pot. I plan on bringing them in for the winter. My guess probably not but I would seek some expert advice before I cut one off. They are about one and a half feet tall now and looks like it is going to produce peppers soon.   
I have two questions....,

1.) How big is the pot?
2.) Why do you want to terminate one now?
3.) Why not wait until fall after, " and looks like it is going to produce peppers soon."

I guess that was three.

Last season I had two ghost pepper plants from Bonnie/Home Depot in the same 4gal pot, produced like crazy with some fish emulsion fertilizer. Just let the plants do their thing until fall when you bring them in.

I've been trying to survey the Internet's wisdom on this topic for a couple of years.  I invite comment on my impressions.

Here's a summarization of what I've collected...

(1) Two plants will give you more-or-less the same harvest as one plant for a given plot of space.  You usually won't see significantly better or worse results in terms of yield.

(2)  Three plants in a single plot is probably too many.

(3) Two plants growing in the same plot will "look" different.  If you're growing out several examples of the same variety (for example, growing out a cross), the two bushier plants growing in the same plot will look different that when a single plant is able to take full advantage of the same real estate.

For what it's worth, I often let two plants grow in the same place (but seldom three).  It let's me game the chances of something bad happening to one of the plants.  It also gives me better odds if something has crossed.

Caveman007 said:
Pot is probably 3 gallon. and your right maybe I should wait till fall.
I am a one plant to a pot guy. I use 5 gallon containers, have for the last ten to fifteen years. Taking next year off, plan on doing larger than 5 gallon per plant when I resume.

That said, as large as both plants are you really might as well let them go at this point.

3 gallon is a pretty small container. I know you are planning on bringing it inside for the winter, but you could also still could potentially put what you have in a larger pot now.

Either way, good luck man!

Cull, especially if you plan to overwinter it. Pepper plants get huge and produce more their second year. It's also healthier for the plant. They need room to breath to prevent diseases.

I've never had a single ounce of problem with multiples.  One year, I braided three Aji Amarillos together, and the plant got huge.  I've never gotten huge production from Aji Amarillo, but this one did just fine.

43378841112_981d157913_c.jpg

50150292707_9d851a4e56_c.jpg

50150285857_a718fb681b_c.jpg

Now, you might not want to take my advice on anything, because *the* big kahuna master grower in these parts says I'm not to be trusted, since I don't have a Glog...  BUT... If you can somehow find it in your heart to believe that I didn't just download this photo off of the internet, that twisted triple did turn into a pretty dense bush, that produced some picture perfect specimens for me.  It was about 6' tall before it got clobbered by a hurricane.

FWIW I've got two Aleppo plants ion a 10-gallon pot. They are smaller than probably any of my other plants, many of which are in 3-gal grow bags. But the Aleppos are loaded with peppers and very healthy.

I agree that you are increasing risk of problems when doubling up, but IMO, Caveman, you should give leave those scorpions alone and see what happens over the winter. If you do decide to cull one, at least wait till the end of the season. I can't imagine that culling one now would increase overall yield.

Well thanks for all the great advice all.  I think I will get rid of one the plants they are getting bigger all the time. probably 2 feet high now, I will try to post a picture later. And I think I should replant also.   I should also point out I have two more plants in seperate pots.   Hard to find anyone that would take them of my hands.

Caveman007 said:
Well thanks for all the great advice all.  I think I will get rid of one the plants they are getting bigger all the time. probably 2 feet high now, I will try to post a picture later. And I think I should replant also.   I should also point out I have two more plants in seperate pots.   Hard to find anyone that would take them of my hands.

Wait until you see it on its second season. They get huge!

Back