• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Type of Pepper?

My son came home from trick or treating with these three peppers on Hallowe'en. One house he went to had a plant by the door and he told the guy his dad grows hot peppers. So the guy gives him 3 peppers but he didn't know what kind they were. Any ideas as to what they may be? He thinks that they are European with medium heat.
Thanks

Yep, Bishop's Hat. I just received some free pods from Pepperlover.com. They are delicious. No heat in the wings at all but the center has some heat.

Thank you Nightshade & Ocho Cinco for the answer of Bishops Hat. The guy did tell him they were not super hot. So, more mild than medium. My son really likes the looks of them so we will see if we can start a plant for him next year
Art

you are lucky, they really are a nice tasting pepper.

the bishop crown/hat/cap/chapeau de frade(few other names that slip my mind) come in a few profiles; the low profile version like the one in your post and a high profile version that has more body. the version with more body gives you the opportunity to stuff them with say a goat cheese or even feta for a delicious hors d'oeuvres. the larger body is usually packed with seeds but easy to handle when hollowing out the body, leaving a nice cup to be filled. a stuffed bishop crown, lightly roasted and washed down with a frothy brew makes a nice start to say.... the Grey Cup.

they are quite nice to grow and watch as the pods fill out and ripen.

Thanks Burning Colon, don't watch sports but do like frothy brews. We'll think of a start to something.  Got my son excited about growing some next year

Yep, Bishops Crown. Aldo known as Orchid. Absolutely fantasic tasting pepper. One of my favorite tasting peppers of all time. The are great for stuffing with sausage and cheese!

Back