• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Types of Peppers

Hello, I know this is kind of random, but I have been looking all over the internet for answers, and I thought that if anyone could help me it would be you guys. I am working on a puzzle that deals with pepper, and I need to identify each pepper in this picture: http://img.geocaching.com/cache/e2b4287e-254c-47c2-b9f6-e159fee465f2.jpg
I have found a few, like the 4th one is Anaheim, the last one on the top row is Poblano, and some on the bottom row are bell peppers. If you know any of these, can you please post their names, thank you so much for the help.

Hello and welcome...

I have a feeling that I have seen that link before???

What is it in regards to???

If it is a puzzle, why do they repeat some of the ivory bell peppers???

moyboy said:
Hello and welcome...

I have a feeling that I have seen that link before???

What is it in regards to???

Welcome from Lake Constance, Germany!

Yeah, I've seen it a few times too. Without further information about the country they came from or the shape and colour of the flowers and leaves and so on there is no precise ID possible. Is that "Poblano" really a Poblano or a Dolmalik from Turkey?

the puzzle is for a geocache at geocaching.com The peppers are a code for coordinates to the geocache, so i think once i know all the types of peppers in the image, then i can solved it by ranking their hotness.

Sure we can positively ID all of those pods.

We'll get back to you as sone as that "world hunger"-thingie is fixed:)

Seriously, I'm with Armadillo - it's not possible to ID them with only the information one can gather from the picture. It's not even possible to know if they are "true" types or crosses.

moyboy said:

like he said, its a code, the chiles represent a number or letter.

lttldude9 said:
the puzzle is for a geocache at geocaching.com The peppers are a code for coordinates to the geocache, so i think once i know all the types of peppers in the image, then i can solved it by ranking their hotness.

MrArboc said:
Sure we can positively ID all of those pods.

We'll get back to you as sone as that "world hunger"-thingie is fixed:)

:lol: I believe this person is not a chilehead & wants to use us & not call us the next day :lol::rolleyes:

MrArboc said:
Seriously, I'm with Armadillo - it's not possible to ID them with only the information one can gather from the picture. It's not even possible to know if they are "true" types or crosses.

ditto on all points, we also dont even know what the person that made that chile code thinks they are, heck they might think 1 chile is a different type of chile when its really called something else. we all know about chiles being mislabeled but does the person that made that code ?

lttldude9 - I'll try to help ya, thinking how the person made the code might think they are.
top row.
red ones - fresno, 2 big dark green ones on top - ancho/poblano,
yellowish - some kind of banana wax chile (several types, they might think it a hungarian wax or banana chile), 2nd to last light green chile - anaheim.

bottom row

1st red bell pepper, 3rd golden bell pepper, 4th ivory bell (never seen those), 5th jalapeno.

the rest could be anything. heres a link that might help you, use their search engine & choose the options you want for pod size & color, but those green ones most likely are unripe & pod size is all a guess in those pictures. so you're left up to what did that person think they were ?

www.chileplants.com

with nearly 4000 different types (not including crosses) we could be here til the end of time going just by them pics.
And as pointed out before little dude ain't a chillihead and and is trying to get us to win this comp for him.
Why ain't if a chillihead? Well if he was he'd know that putting a name to only a pic of a chilli without any other info is near impossible.
Good luck breaking the code

Maybe it's some kind of binary code?

1-2-1-1-1-2-1
1-2-1-1-1-1-2

Have no idea, but it sure would be fun to know the answer.

one-zero-zero-zero-one-one-zero-zero-one-one-one-zero-zero.

Whoo whee baby don't tease me!! Sorry, couldn't help myself.

patrick said:

Don't get it? Must be some cultural thing among those Americans we see on TV.

Davetaylor said:
with nearly 4000 different types (not including crosses) we could be here til the end of time going just by them pics.
And as pointed out before little dude ain't a chillihead and and is trying to get us to win this comp for him.
Why ain't if a chillihead? Well if he was he'd know that putting a name to only a pic of a chilli without any other info is near impossible.
Good luck breaking the code

I think you only need to think like the person that made the code, they might as well not be a chilehead & might using basic names or common names, even if they are labeled wrong.

as for winning a competition, if I understand geocaching its not really a competition where theres a winning prize. more like a hobby/sport to find an item 1st then have bragging rights, then hide the item again w/clues to see if someone else can find it.
or I may be totally wrong but thats what I thought it is.

I dont have a problem helping someone doing this, good luck on your search.
our cities (TC) has something like this, you're giving clues over several days to find a medallion hiding somewhere in the cities, finder gets something like $10,000, but here they use worded clues/riddles that you need to figure out & is not going on yet that I know of.

patrick said:

how about "10001110101" by clutch ?

thanks for your help guys, i think the peppers will make coordinates. The top row is the north and the bottom is the south. I'm going to try and rank them using the scoville scale, and then use those numbers to create the coordinates. If you guys can think of any other way of changing these peppers into some sort of number or ranking system, that would also help. Thanks again, and I'll let you know if I break it. And if you guys are wondering what this is for, goto www.geocaching.com and enjoy the game.

Also another hint to the code may have something to do with Tex Mex cooking, I think I have them all labeled except for the last green one on the bottom row.

At the urging of the lttledude, here's the list,:
Top left to top right:
Fresno, Hungarian, looks similar to a Ancho, not sure, Fresno, not sure, Ancho.
Bottom Left to Bottom Right:
Red Bell Pepper, not sure, yellow Bell Pepper, looks to be a Andrea Bell pepper, Jalapeno, again an Andrea Bell, could be a Garden Salsa pepper or a type of Cayenne.

Back