• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense U-MOROK The mother of all Jolokias

Friends,

At last I got a real good snap of U-MOROK a very elusive superhot pepper from state of Manipur which is in North East India above Assam where we get Naga Jolokia.

4226438733_0223c63a82_o.jpg

Some people believe that U-MOROK is the mother of all superhots like Naga sp. of Assam, Bangladesh etc.

The green pods have very light green color and pods are a bit different too.
On ripening, they get the orangish red color.
See for yourself.

I have written to a friend in India if he can get me some seeds of U-MOROK.

Hope my trip is rewarded.

NJA

Can I come on this trip? :) Dreaming. It sounds like my dream vacation NJA. I can see myself hunting down every elusive hot pepper in India like a kid in a candy store. :)

Chris

cmpman1974 said:
Can I come on this trip? :) Dreaming. It sounds like my dream vacation NJA. I can see myself hunting down every elusive hot pepper in India like a kid in a candy store. :)

Chris

I know how you must be feeling.
Believe it or not, I have been hunting this U-MOROK since last two years without any success.
I hope to get the seeds this year.
Again keeping my fingers crossed.

NJA

You sound like a man possessed Chris. :lol: You know about two years and a half ago I first heard of nagas and thought it would be years until I had them. Now I am growing them and many others. The rest of the "real world" is still years away from even knowing what nagas or 7-pots, or Scorpions are. We are years ahead and yet every day there is a search for the newest cool superhot. NJA, I hope you take a lot of photos and videos and maybe even make a blog for your trip. Many of us will be living vicariously through you on this trip. I do have one question though why were all of those pods picked green?

Another great picture NJA. There certainly are a lot of great varieties in India. Perhaps you can help the rest of us see how great they are!:lol:

jacob

JayT said:
You sound like a man possessed Chris. :lol: You know about two years and a half ago I first heard of nagas and thought it would be years until I had them. Now I am growing them and many others. The rest of the "real world" is still years away from even knowing what nagas or 7-pots, or Scorpions are. We are years ahead and yet every day there is a search for the newest cool superhot. NJA, I hope you take a lot of photos and videos and maybe even make a blog for your trip. Many of us will be living vicariously through you on this trip. I do have one question though why were all of those pods picked green?

JayT,

I will try and do my best.

In India, chilli peppers are generally sold green in green grocers shops and dry red chillie pods are sold in grocery stores for powder making and temering.

Green pods are used in daily cooking for making chutney and also imparting heat to curries besides red chilli powders.

NJA

jjs7741 said:
Another great picture NJA. There certainly are a lot of great varieties in India. Perhaps you can help the rest of us see how great they are!:lol:

jacob

jjs,

India has a lot many mild, hot and super hot peppers. The problem is people over there are not concerned with systematic usage and classification like an average pepperhead n USA is.
I have been a chilliman for a number of years and am doing my best to make outside world aware of great variety that exists in India.

NJA

And it was also voted one of the friendliest places in the world as well if I remember correctly. It is one of the many places I would love to have a chance to visit.

jacob

Damn, this ist really looking interesting. India seems to be a must-go for Chiliheads. I hope you are successful with your quest for seeds ;)

jjs7741 said:
And it was also voted one of the friendliest places in the world as well if I remember correctly. It is one of the many places I would love to have a chance to visit.

jacob

Believe it or not, there are hundreds of varieties that we do not know about.

I am trying to get some info of such varieties and possibly seeds too.

NJA

Hi NJA

I have heard of the U Morok quite awhile ago but was under the impression that it was just another name for the Bih or Bhut Jolokia. Is there much difference in heat or taste?

Wildfire Chilli Australia said:
Hi NJA

it was just another name for the Bih or Bhut Jolokia. Is there much difference in heat or taste?

it cant be same from the pic you can tell that it starts light green then green then red .while the Bih,Bhut,nagas they all start as the secound stage of the U-Morok. is that right?

PepperLover said:
it cant be same from the pic you can tell that it starts light green then green then red .while the Bih,Bhut,nagas they all start as the secound stage of the U-Morok. is that right?

pepperLover is correct.
U-Morok starts very light green. This is unusual for any Naga variety.
It is different than Naga and that's for sure.

There is one more very thin variety of chilli pepper from Bangladesh called " KACHA MORICH"

I had tasted this last year with a friend from Bangladesh. Believe me it is very very hot . I am not able to get much info about this one.

NJA

There is one more very thin variety of chilli pepper from Bangladesh called " KACHA MORICH"

I had tasted this last year with a friend from Bangladesh. Believe me it is very very hot . I am not able to get much info about this one.

thats right the thinner the pod the more concentrated capsaicin mainly in the superhot

PepperLover said:

Yes I can see this, what I was asking is if the flavour and heat is similar to a Bhut? I was just wondering because I read somewhere that it was the same so wanted to know if it was easily mistaken for one?

I have grown several variations of Bih Jolokia that start out light green like the pod you're showing NJA. Several years ago, I accidentally got them from a mistake Frontal Agritech made. Long story. :) Tough to say if it's the same.

Are you familiar with Potka/Boonbai Morich? Another super hot from Bangladesh. Nice one.

Chris

Back