UDS - Progress Report

My UDS is now complete and burned out, I need to give it a good scrub down tonight / tomorrow then get some paint on it. Anybody have suggestions for seasoning it, what kind of oil etc?

Here are some pics for now, I am going to add two more ports on the bottom for extra control. Would you recommend adding a few ports on the lid?

-Jay
IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

first off...great build

yup add some exhaust holes

here is the standard - 8 - 1/2" holes

IMG_1928.jpg

i season mine with the cheapest cooking spray i can get ahold of(dollarama)...buy 2 of them

thermometer?

i drilled a hole just below grate level small enough to put a 12" deep fryer thermo in the hole

where in ontario are you? and where did you manage to get a grate for cooking? i cant find them around me

BamsBBQ said:
i season mine with the cheapest cooking spray i can get ahold of(dollarama)...buy 2 of them
Ditto that, I get the 99 cent can. I've read don't use vegetable oil, use animal, because veg. gets sticky. Well I've been fine using the veg. I clean and season it after each que as well before I put the cover on.

BamsBBQ said:
where in ontario are you? and where did you manage to get a grate for cooking? i cant find them around me
I am in London, I called Porky's and they had them in stock and then called Patio Palace to do a price comparison, they were the same so I picked them up from Patio Palace.

I am sure that they can point you in the right direction or you can possibly order one from them.

I tried the usual Canadian Tire, Home Hardware etc with no luck.

Thanks for the complements and the tips!

-Jay

Well, I got the drum burnt out, scrubed it with Soap and water then let it dry in the sun for a few hours. Sprayed a few coats of gloss black caliper paint on it and seasoned the inside with a whole can of cooking spray as suggested. I started a small fire in it to help with the seasoning and shut it down shorly after. Yesterday I was ready to smoke for the first time. I had my ribs, already rubbed, and I got the coals going. I added the Hickory wood chunks and we were in business. I smoked them for 3 hours, wrapped them in foil for 2 and then, let them rest for an hour before slapping on some sauce and grilling them for about 10 minutes to warm them up and get the carmalization going.

THEY WERE AMAZING!!! Honestly, they were the best ribs I have ever made.
All I was missing was the baked beans.

I have some more painting to do on the drum but will get the pics posted soon!

-Jay

Back