• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Underwater survival rates?

So how long can plants live underwater?  I have submerged peppers.  Hard to tell in pic but under water there are (were) rows and furrows about 6" deep/tall.  Water is over the levy and approaching the steps to the house.  Yay!

hell1_cwhvatnbbf.jpg

hell2_d6fv6bcfif.jpg

I think the question would be how fast will the water go down. If it stays like that for the next few days, I think they will be more like floating sticks instead of pepper plants. If the water goes away by the morning, they should be fine.

Dang dude, I'm sorry. I hope they make it!. Do you have something you can use to suck up or absorb some of that water? That's your best bet right there.

Well....if the water is going to stay that high for more than one day, it's not looking good. If you can, dig a few up and pot them up in 5+ gallon containers (the bigger the better) just in case, so you don't have a total lose.
Very sorry my friend. BUT I will say that plants are mysterious and you never know what might happen....good luck and keep us posted.

The water receded but it's a big muddy mess right now.  My concern is that we just flood irrigated two days ago.  Oddly enough the carrots are the only thing that look bad at the moment.  Guess we'll know for sure in a few days what lived and what died lol.  Root rot would be my main concern.  We're supposed to have thunderstorms for the next few days but hopefully things will be ok.  We're in the middle of a severe drought :rolleyes:

Back