• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Unique Ghost pepper pod

This was the first ghost pod to form on one of my nursery bought plants.The rest of the pods on the plants look like the typical ghost phenotype.

http://imgur.com/1KINFFn

Is this just one of those wonky first pods? Either way I'm saving seeds from the pod to try to replicate this look. The pod was suncaled on the back end (thanks to an earlier infestation of tomatoe hornworms) so I didn't try it.

Interesting.. the plants were simply labeled "ghost" so it's a possibility it could be the arse clown.

No offense but thats not how getting different phenotypes works. Its probably due to environmental factors. To really get a different phenotype you have to see throughout different plants. Like if the most common phenotype in a plant looks weird that plant might have a mutation and it would work. Saving those seeds would not replicate that cool look

No offense taken. I was under the impression that by selecting pods that have unusual characteristics could be replicated by growing out the seeds and selecting be pods that looked like what you want.
Now I could be wrong but isn't that exactly what P. Dreadie did to get his unique scotch bonnet look?

Yeah, that's just one of those first weird pods. Sometimes happens. If the rest of them look fine, then that's all it is. It will have the same genetics as all of the others on the plant, so saving the seeds wont preserve this shape.

The thought is that all pods have the same genetics, but things like the P. Dreadie kind of make me question it.

AndyW said:
The thought is that all pods have the same genetics, but things like the P. Dreadie kind of make me question it.
All pods off of the same plant. And most varieties aren't 100% homogenous.

A single fruit on a plant isn't going to look different because it was pollinated by a different plant. Cross polliantion does not affect the specific pod that grows from that plant, only the seeds.

But if a variety isn't 100% homogenous, then as you grow out each generation, slight differences can occur, and you can further isolate those traits.

Thanks for the knowledge Jubnat. So in order for me to isolate this specific look the other pods on the plant would also need to display it?

Unless you have radioactive waste lying around all the pods should have the same chance of having a slightly different offspring assuming self-pollination. Thats an awesome one time thing but its probably going to stay that way. Also what was the P Dreadie story. I know he created the Scotch Bonnet and was in this community but whats his legacy.

Unless you have radioactive waste lying around all the pods should have the same chance of having a slightly different offspring assuming self-pollination. Thats an awesome one time thing but its probably going to stay that way. Also what was the P Dreadie story. I know he created the Scotch Bonnet and was in this community but whats his legacy.

Jubnat said:
All pods off of the same plant. And most varieties aren't 100% homogenous.

A single fruit on a plant isn't going to look different because it was pollinated by a different plant. Cross polliantion does not affect the specific pod that grows from that plant, only the seeds.

But if a variety isn't 100% homogenous, then as you grow out each generation, slight differences can occur, and you can further isolate those traits.
I know that (no offense, just not sure how else to say it). It's my understanding that the P. Dreadie Select Strain was developed by saving seed from ideal pods, and the other strain was just any old pod. I'd also thought that there was a noticeable difference between the two. I could definitely be wrong since I haven't spent a ton of time researching or anything, but that's what I gathered when reading about the variety.

That was also my understanding Andy. Which is why I believed I could replicate the pod. Either way I'll be growing it out next season.

Definitely that pod was warped due to environmental factors. So in other words had that same pod grown under the same conditions as the other pods on the plants it would have turned out like the others.

P. Dreadie didnt create the shape of his select strain, he simply encouraged that particular shape by only keeping seeds from pods with the preferred shape. I have grown the select strain (highly recommend!!) and still got some perfect pods and others more hab shape.

Arse Clown Jolokia is a Bhut variant discovered by The Hippy Seed Company in Australia. Its likely a mutation that gives a different shape that seems stable. You can email them if you like and they will tell you they have great service :)

You can encourage a shape by picking from a plant that only has that shape, as that will be the more stable plant and is more likely to produce pods like that. If the plant has mixed pod shapes then you could get, the same shape, a different shape or a mix of shapes again! 

Back