• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Unknown little peppers

I understand these start with the black then get red as they ripen. These pictures were taken in California Bay Area at the beginning of January for an idea of weather. Any guesses?

Pepper1.jpg

Pepper2.jpg

Pepper3.jpg

Pepper4.jpg

MBGardener said:
This looks a lot like a Goat's weed pepper to me.
_Well MBG, you nailed it!>GOOGLE Image Search - Goat's weed pepper

Ezekiel said:
I understand these start with the black then get red as they ripen. These pictures were taken in California Bay Area at the beginning of January for an idea of weather. Any guesses?
Click on link above for MBGardeners discovery.

Nice to have a plant that grows dollar bills, but next time pick one that grows Franklins.

The goats weed (also same name "black cobra" that I have grown had peppers that were 3/4 to 1 1/4 inch long, starting black to green to orange to red.  Ornamental for sure, but also useful in the kitchen in certain circumstances.  The pods have an initial bitterness then pretty much just heat, so they are great for pizza flake and powder blends where you just want to punch the heat up. 

FLPepperhead said:
Friend of mine grows the Black Cobra peppers. I usually like the tast of most peppers but that one was too bitter.
Seems we're getting a pattern here.....

SmokenFire said:
The goats weed (also same name "black cobra" that I have grown had peppers that were 3/4 to 1 1/4 inch long, starting black to green to orange to red.  Ornamental for sure, but also useful in the kitchen in certain circumstances.  The pods have an initial bitterness then pretty much just heat, so they are great for pizza flake and powder blends where you just want to punch the heat up.
_

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
Seems we're getting a pattern here.....

_
There aren't a lot of peppers that first turn black and then red.. The Goat Weed or Black Cobra pepper is the only one that I know that does that..
They are beautiful to look at but I personally don't like the taste..

FLPepperhead said:
 Yes, that seems to be the trend........

So, as the titles says, I'd like to hear if some of you grow dwarf varieties that are not only ornamental (taste like crap), but are really worth growing?

I can recommend capsicum anuum v. aviculare, small plant, big producer of tiny, pequin/pepperoncini like pods.

Anything interesting?
[/QUOTE]

FLPepperhead said:
There aren't a lot of peppers that first turn black and then red.. The Goat Weed or Black Cobra pepper is the only one that I know that does that..

The Black Hungarian/Czech Black is another one but I can't think of another either! Those actually taste good too.

Back