• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Unknown - Red - Hot!

Below is an image of the pod. This was thought to be a wax pepper because the first few did not ripen (http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44751-superhot-or-not/). They had a very mild spice and a great flavor prior to ripening.

Much to my surprise a couple weeks later (still yellow) these were nearly 20x hotter than the previous batch. I left one on another two weeks and sure enough it turned red!

The surface is slightly shiny and it has a thicker skin, like a jalapeno.

IMG_20140211_131246.jpg

It looks like a runt pod that normally develops at the first split, it may be impossible to ID because of that.

The flavor on those runts are usually off a bit too, the next batch of pods will hopefully surprise you in a good way.

Jetchuka said:
It looks like a runt pod that normally develops at the first split, it may be impossible to ID because of that.

The flavor on those runts are usually off a bit too, the next batch of pods will hopefully surprise you in a good way.

It was just potted up and has a half dozen pods. Looks like I'll find out soon if it's a runt or not.

Do you know if an under sized plant will cause this or if it is limited to the first round of pods? I ask because this was one of the first set (8) of pods to come off this plant while in a 4" pot.

Hot Hungarian Wax are usually still sitting upright (pendant) when they are that size.

They might be dwarfed Banana peppers though i have my doubts unless it's one of the obscure commercial varieties.

Edit: i see Ebay was the source. If that's the case it can be any one of a dozen varieties, or even a cross, which would make an ID hard to figure out.

Back