• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Update on my Bhut Jolokia seedling

Hi guys, my Bhut Jolokia seedling looks like its growing fairly quickly (not sure if this is good or bad) but is there anything I should keep my eyes open for in terms of fertilization or lack of? Anything the leaves might be telling me that I need to be aware of? I've only fertilized it once using Shultz liquid plant food and it was half strength. did that a week before the first picture was taken. I water once a week when the top is totally dry and crusty but about an inch down its just a little cool but not wet. Water is from my aquarium.

Pic taken on Feb 9th
jolokia_seedling.jpg

jolokia_seedling_0.jpg

Pic taken today (Feb 21)
feb21.jpg

feb21_2.jpg

Lastly, I've put an extra light on the plant which strikes it at a 45 degree angle. I am hoping it will penetrate the lower leaves. Its not as strong as the main CF light. The main is a 23W 6500K and the one I put is only a 9W 2700K. I turn the pot about a 1/4 turn every day to make sure all leaves get the same light exposure.

So how do I know when and if I need to fertlize. I dont want to give too much and ruin my plant. The pot is about 9.5" on the inside diameter and about the same height. I hope eventually to put it into a 13" clay pot for when it goes outside in the summer.

Great looking plant nice job!
one to thing to watch for is any yellowing on the top leaves that would mean the lights to close, all looks good right now!

That is looking like a nice stocky plant, thick stem. So far so good. Whatever you are doing, the plant seems to be happy, dont change anything IMO.

Thanks WickedMojo. I'll be on a lookout. if I see any hint of the lights being too close, I'll raise the light up a few inches. When the plant was younger, there was a hint of purple on the upper leaves which I was told might be a sign of a lot of light but thats gone now.

WickedMojo said:
Great looking plant nice job!
one to thing to watch for is any yellowing on the top leaves that would mean the lights to close, all looks good right now!

Thanks Matt50680, maybe the water from the aquarium is helping (I figured it might have some extra goodies in the water that might be closer to nature). Not sure if this helps or not but the PH of my aquarium water is about 6.3. I think I read somewhere that high PH is not good for pepper plants?

Matt50680 said:
That is looking like a nice stocky plant, thick stem. So far so good. Whatever you are doing, the plant seems to be happy, dont change anything IMO.

Looking good, don't worry too much about the lights, those two will be fine for a month or so. Also keep an eye out for Magnesium deficiency when growing in containers like that, if you see yellowing new growth with old growth getting yellow between the veins (not the veins themselves) and or with dropping leaves then you will need to sprinkle a pinch of epsom salt around the top soil and water.

Otherwise, so far so good! Ohh and Ideal pH for peppers is 6.5 to 6.8, around there.

Looks great so far! Keep up the good work.
The aquarium water is probably quite beneficial. The lights don't seem to be hurting the plant at all, just make sure to have a night cycle as well so the plant can recover.
I use weaker lights and tend to leave them on longer.

Back