• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

US vs Tropical Weather Peppers

I arrived a few days ago here in California but will be going back to Manila in a month or so. I'm totally new to other hot peppers other than habs and thai peppers and noticed that the weather here in Sta Clara is really cold (at least to me who is used to warm humid weather).

I plan to buy seeds from some of the vendors mentioned in the vault and I was wondering if there are certain peppers that won't be able to tolerate weathers beyond 100F.

Any advice would be appeciated.

Well I happen tah live in Florida but, not on the coast, here its normal tah have 95 -100 degrees between 1 PM and 4 PM during the summer, what saves us is the near daily rain which breaks the high temps by 10 degrees, it also contributes to the 80%+ humidity, rarely do the low temps drop below 76 degrees from June till the end of September.  My Chinese plants do just fine though pod production does drop off till October.  

Most people from the North are startled by the incredible heat/humidity they face here during the summer, I work outside and laugh at em and call em soft.....

GL

let me know if you need seeds,   got thousands tah spare...

Prehensile said:
Well I happen tah live in Florida but, not on the coast, here its normal tah have 95 -100 degrees between 1 PM and 4 PM during the summer, what saves us is the near daily rain which breaks the high temps by 10 degrees, it also contributes to the 80%+ humidity, rarely do the low temps drop below 76 degrees from June till the end of September.  My Chinese plants do just fine though pod production does drop off till October.  

Most people from the North are startled by the incredible heat/humidity they face here during the summer, I work outside and laugh at em and call em soft.....

GL

let me know if you need seeds,   got thousands tah spare...

That's exactly what I wanted to hear -not the low pod production though. But I guess it's worth a try to cultivate whatever I can try,

I'll take that seed offer if you can recommend any that you think won't be much of a problem starting plants right off at seeds at very humid and warm temps.

I'm looking to buy some reapers, bhuts, choco habs, 7pots and jalapenos. Anything else you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

ZenPepper said:
if they can grow in Trinidad I think they will be ok in the Philippines, think the weather conditions are similar.

Thank you, ZenPepper. I'll look into that.

I'm starting to believe it's not the summer season in the Philippines I would need to worry about. It's probably the monsoon season where it's going to be mostly overcast for 3-4 months. I should expect low pod production during these months or so.

jlacosta said:
Thank you, ZenPepper. I'll look into that.

I'm starting to believe it's not the summer season in the Philippines I would need to worry about. It's probably the monsoon season where it's going to be mostly overcast for 3-4 months. I should expect low pod production during these months or so.
not really, I had my habanero plant in full sun and now it's on the side of my house that gets no direct sun at all and it's doing a lot better now than it was before

Chinese seem to not care if they get no direct sun, this plant is facing North and has not seen direct sun since last October.

IMG_0149.jpg

Thank you, Prehensile and cactusMD. Looks like I don't have to worry after all and got the basics all covered. I'm getting really excited to go back and start some plants.

It's gonna be getting hot and humid here in Japan after the rainy season. I think my peppers are gonna love it.
My Habaneros did well last year!

Back