• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

USDA Small Lots of Seed Permit

Tybo said:

I have had seeds on order from Semillas for over a month now.  I'm beginning to think that customs may have confiscated mine.  I did contact Semillas and they said if they were confiscated that I would receive a letter from them (customs) but I haven't received one yet.  I guess there's still hope. 
I'm curious if you received a letter?

So far it appears that I am in the 1% category.

Well, I just received this package today.  29NOV19!!  It had been slit open, the contents removed and a "mail interception notice" inside from customs.  The intercepted material is listed as "Unknown Seed". (even though it was declared "small lots of seeds, Capsicum species, origin Spain)
Disposition states Prohibited Material Removed and Destroyed.
Reason For Disposition is listed as Material not authorized entry and Phyto-sanitary certificate is missing.
The remarks section states "Seed(s) for propagation, w/o proper documentation; (legible English language original phytosanitary certificate), are prohibited entry. "USDA lpomoea Aquatica is an invasive weed.
Huh?  I ordered pepper seeds.  Not an invasive weed.  
Oh, well.  Just my luck but I'm surprised it took so long.  26AUG19 is the date on the envelope.

So, to those who order seeds from overseas without a permit, it is possible you won't get them.  Just be forewarned.

I've ordered seeds from semillas.de 3 or 4 times. Received them pretty quickly every time. But I'm not going lie; I've been nervous that something like Tybo's experience might besthappen each time, to a lesser degree with each successful order.

Tybo, did they just take the one pack? Or did they confiscate the entire order?

At long last, I located the letter. I have attached it below. Sorry I could not figure out how to save it as an image.

midwestchilehead said:
Yes, I did get a letter (more like a fill-in-the-blank form). It came in the seed envelope, but it took a long time to get to me (about six weeks after I ordered. If I run across the letter I will scan it and post it.

View attachment img20191203_05383716.pdf

Bicycle808 said:
I've ordered seeds from semillas.de 3 or 4 times. Received them pretty quickly every time. But I'm not going lie; I've been nervous that something like Tybo's experience might besthappen each time, to a lesser degree with each successful order.

Tybo, did they just take the one pack? Or did they confiscate the entire order?

They emptied the entire envelope and added the confiscation letter.
I'm sure this is a rare thing but myself and Midwestchilihead are examples that it can happen.  

midwestchilehead said:
At long last, I located the letter. I have attached it below. Sorry I could not figure out how to save it as an image.

attachicon.gif
img20191203_05383716.pdf

Pretty much the same letter just different wording.  Especially about the "USDA lpomoea Aquatica is an invasive weed" part.  

Tybo said:

They emptied the entire envelope and added the confiscation letter.
I'm sure this is a rare thing but myself and Midwestchilihead are examples that it can happen.  
That's just messed up. I feel for both of ya. Seeds are kinda cheap, but that can mess up your entire grow. Plus, just the principle of the thing...

Well, while I like to support global trade, this thread points out why it is a good idea to support your local, domestic seed sellers. I will still try to import seeds once in a while with my permit, but having seeds shipped to an inspection station first, only to be confiscated if they aren't labeled correctly, is a risk I don't want to take if I can find the same seeds from a domestic seller. YMMV.

Just wanted to add an update.  With recent U.S. concerns over contaminated seeds being imported (I can't seem to find the recent post about this, so if someone can point it out to me again that would be great) I wondered whether that might interfere with a Semillas La Palma order getting here OK.  I was after just one variety, so it wasn't much of a risk and I pulled the trigger. 

Order place Friday 1/31, shipped Monday 2/03, seeds in hand Mon 2/10.  10 days total and only 7 days shipping to get through customs and arrive at my door.

CaneDog said:
Just wanted to add an update.  With recent U.S. concerns over contaminated seeds being imported (I can't seem to find the recent post about this, so if someone can point it out to me again that would be great) I wondered whether that might interfere with a Semillas La Palma order getting here OK.  I was after just one variety, so it wasn't much of a risk and I pulled the trigger. 

Order place Friday 1/31, shipped Monday 2/03, seeds in hand Mon 2/10.  10 days total and only 7 days shipping to get through customs and arrive at my door.

Could be related to this : http://thehotpepper.com/topic/73313-tomato-brown-rugose-fruit-virus-tobrfv/#entry1670656

CaneDog said:

Yep, that's it!  I thought it was you who'd posted it, Bou, but the key words I tried to search with weren't getting me results.

Thanks for posting - again!  It's good to know when things like this are happening.

No problem; I'm glad I can contribute to this chilihead community, somehow!

Looks like the rules have changed. I went to renew my small seed lots permit this morning and these are the new regulations.

Q. Can I continue to use a Small Lots of Seed (SLS) permit to import small lots of tomato or pepper seeds?
A. No. Tomato and pepper seeds are no longer eligible for SLS permits. Small lots of tomato or pepper seeds must now be accompanied by a Phytosanitary Certificate with the required additional declaration or a combination of the two additional declarations. Small lots may also be imported under a Contained Import Permit (CIP). For more information see the USDA Plant and Plant Products Page.

Q. Can I continue to import obscured seeds of tomato or pepper seeds?
A. Yes, you can continue to use PPQ 587 Obscured Seed Permit to import obscured tomato or pepper seed. However, you must still fulfill the outlined requirements by accompanying the permit with a Phytosanitary Certificate including an Additional Declaration as stated in this Federal Order.

Back