• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Using ash as a fertiliser / treatment...

Anyone had any success using ash personally on their veg / peppers?

I read somewhere on the 'net that wood ash is beneficial, but have no idea how it's used or in what quantity...

i have been reading up on using ash as a fertilizer. Havent been using it yet though.

You mustn't use too much as it contains salt.

(p/s: your carr reds came up in 3 days, what a record!)

been using wood ash on my raised beds, can't really tell the difference though. kiddc is right about the salt content. which is why i'd rather use them in my beds and not in containers. better chances of it equalizing pH levels if it's in the ground.

Thanks fellas!

I wonder if it would be good to just blanket my entire veg patch...??

Glad the seeds were good for you, kiddc! :woohoo:

^ +1 on that. I use it as well and it has many nutrients. Google it and you'll find lots of helpful information.

I know in containers you need to be careful with it due to the effects it has on PH. In fact, if I remember correctly the recommended amounts were pretty small... maybe a tsp/tbsp per gallon of soil....... and maybe not even that much. On an outdoor garden or raised beds Im sure its a bit different.

Just read something about wood ash, it said that it can be used as a replacement for lime.

Cant really post links right now coz my net is acting a bit on the funky side. Easy enough to google for it though. =)

Good info - thanks!

We barbecue a lot out here (usually to escape the wife's cooking) so there is a lot of wood ash - though not hardwood - being produced. Being a semi-pro skinflint, I hate to waste, so it's great news that this by-product can be beneficial...

Guess I'll have to break down and get a decent ph meter, now. :cool:

I mix it in my compost pile supposed to help. have been doing it for years, after it is mixed up with compost can tell if it changes the ph.

Thanks Patrick!

Might use your method in future, Al - much easier to just add to the heap and use when needed...
Thanks!

Back