• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Using Chalk to Battle ants / aphids

Hey Guys,

I recently read an article, and then googled the idea and it seems fairly well known.

Has anyone used chalk lines around their containers to deter ants from getting on their plants, and therefore not being able to bring aphids up onto the leaves?

I have not much been interested in over wintering, but i tried with two habs last year and they got overrun with aphids as soon as i put them in the green house....

This year I have a yellow Bhut that is probably 3-4 feet wide and the same tall and I really want to over winter it but I am trying to avoid a half year long battle with aphids lol.

Thanks!

Steve 

I haven't heard of that, but I am all ears! I have been battling the little green bastiges on several of my plants all summer. They won't die!

What worked battling aphids for me was first spraying the plants down with neem and dawn dish soap water solution, then using diatomaceous earth on the dirt, the plants and everything else on the deck. Then, going back with a spray bottle on jet with dawn and literally smooshing/wiping the aphids off my plants by hand and shooting them off. Did that several months back and have not seen a single aphid since!

VirgilCane said:
What worked battling aphids for me was first spraying the plants down with neem and dawn dish soap water solution, then using diatomaceous earth on the dirt, the plants and everything else on the deck. Then, going back with a spray bottle on jet with dawn and literally smooshing/wiping the aphids off my plants by hand and shooting them off. Did that several months back and have not seen a single aphid since!
I like to use DE everywhere. It's cheap and efficient. I even mix it in my soil before potting to help keep the ants away. Nothing is 100% but constant spraying and hand clearing early in the season makes for an easier late season when you need to spend your time picking, cleaning, and processing your peppers.

Back