• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

fertilizer Using Molasses as a Fertilizer

Found a very interesting article on using molasses in the garden. http://www.google.co...6,d.b2I&cad=rja

Here's a quote from it:

"In addition to sugars, molasses contains significant amounts of potash, sulfur, and a variety of micronutrients. Because molasses is derived from plants, and because the manufacturing processes that create it remove mostly sugars, the majority of the mineral nutrients that were contained in the original sugar cane or sugar beet are still present in molasses. This is a critical factor because a balanced supply of mineral nutrients is essential for those "beneficial beasties" to survive and thrive. That's one of the secrets we've discovered to really successful organic gardening, the micronutrients found in organic amendments like molasses, kelp, and alfalfa were all derived from other plant sources and are quickly and easily available to our soil and plants. This is especially important for the soil "micro-herd" of critters who depend on tiny amounts of those trace minerals as catalysts to make the enzymes that create biochemical transformations. That last sentence was our fancy way of saying - it's actually the critters in "live soil" that break down organic fertilizers and "feed" it to our plants"

Now that all sounds pretty good right? Another "benefit" is it "can provide to your garden is it's ability to work as a chelating agent. That's a scientific way of saying that molasses is one of those "magical" substances that can convert some chemical nutrients into a form that's easily available for critters and plants. Chelated minerals can be absorbed directly and remain available and stable in the soil."

Just wanted to share the info.

Molasses can be deadly!
http://www.flickr.co...85789/lightbox/

On a similar note, the article mentioned alfalfa, and I just read somewhere that rabbit food pellets are a really good soil ammendment because the alfalfa works as a slow release fertilizer. I think there may be molasses in rabbit food as well. So it's good before it goes in and after it comes out of the rabbit!

Be careful when using Molasses as a straight fertilizer,it's great in teas but if used by itself too much it also can deplete nitrogen as well.

Be careful when using Molasses as a straight fertilizer,it's great in teas but if used by itself too much it also can deplete nitrogen as well.
Good to know that undiluted molasses grabs for the Nitrogen first.

In the past, I've used a "green up tonic" recommended by Jerry Baker on his Blog and in his books. http://www.jerrybaker.net/garden/information/archivedarticles/allseasontonics.aspx
They seemed to work pretty well in my vegetable garden, but as I've gotten to know more, I've stopped using it because adding sugars to the soil seems to feed the nasties too... and the "cleanup tonic" he recommends to deal with that includes tobacco tea. The cheap chewing tobacco used in making the tea often contains poor grade tobacco that's infected with tobacco mosaic virus, which nightshade crops like peppers, tomatoes, eggplant and potatoes are susceptible to.

Thanks for the additional info/warnings MR_POTS and Pepperhead. I'm curious though as it how it depletes nitrogen? I'll have to do some googling. One thing that interested me is it being chelated. Figured anything that would make food more available to the plant would be a good thing.

Oh about using it in dried form. That stuff is created by spraying molasses on a "host", alfalfa etc. and then dried. I doubt if the host would have any negative effect on peppers but just something to be aware of.

Alfalfa has a natural hormone in it. Dope growers make use of it for growth.

Triacontanol is what you are talking about armac but its not a hormone. Its a long chain fatty alcohol found in the surface of leaves and beeswax. It acts as a growth stimulant

You stand by your bolded non referenced "quote" ... that's fine but from what I have read and understand it isn't actually classed as a hormone but a growth stimulant which acts to promote plant hormones. There are contradictory articles for both sides of the spectrum but the non commercial education and university studies I have read do not refer to it as a hormone

I copied it just the way it read under a google search sir.

I added nothing.

So yes I stand by it......

I am afraid you may not pass the entry exam.

Apply again next year. I may lower my standards.

Good luck.....

Me either until you flunked, it was not so much the grades, we just do not accept whiners. So, see ya.

Now carry on with this fine thread.

Come on fellas. Trying to help folks here with information not commonly known. Whether Triacontanol is a hormone or it isn't, the bottom line is it beneficial to us pepper growers?

Trippa I did that absolute thing you keep referring to. I almost never come off like that. I like leaving myself a little bit of weasel room in case what I'm saying is wrong. Words like "most of the time" "rarely" "in my experience" always gives a guy room to wiggle. You did catch me the other day. First time I did in I don't know how long and I get nailed. By the way what have you studied?

Tell you what after spending just a few minutes google triacontanol I'm happy calling it a hormone and/or a fatty alcohol. Google is confused.

Back