Using mustard in a sauce

I'm hoping someone here may be able to answer the following. If I make a sauce containing a commercially available mustard as one of the main ingredients. Can I then sell the finished product as a mustard/chilli sauce?

I've made a mustard/chilli sauce before for personal use and some friends keep asking me to make some to sell. I'm not sure on whether I can sell a product that has one of the main ingredients of another commercially available product.

One person told me I can because I'm basically making a new product with mustard as an ingredient.

Does anyone know how this works?

Not without making a deal with them. Otherwise you would have to use a non-brand mustard from a foodservice co.

PS. I could be wrong! I mean everything is a brand name of sorts. Be interested to know the legalities too.

There have to be some legalities though, I don't think you can take French's mustard, add habs, and call it Hab Mustard.

thehotpepper.com said:
There have to be some legalities though, I don't think you can take French's mustard, add habs, and call it Hab Mustard.

To use any commercial made product in your sauce, it must be less then a certain percentage to the rest of the ingredients. Not sure what the exact percentage is and it may vary from country to country depending on export. For example, my co-packer asks those who use ketchup for BBQ sauce, what brand they like since the co-packer uses Hunts, but others are available.

Its kinda like a recipe. If you change at least three ingredients, it is technically no longer the same recipe and can be re-published.

racecitysauce said:
To use any commercial made product in your sauce, it must be less then a certain percentage to the rest of the ingredients. Not sure what the exact percentage is and it may vary from country to country depending on export. For example, my co-packer asks those who use ketchup for BBQ sauce, what brand they like since the co-packer uses Hunts, but others are available.

Its kinda like a recipe. If you change at least three ingredients, it is technically no longer the same recipe and can be re-published.

I add another 10 ingredients to the mustard when making my sauce.

I think I'll starting using dry mustard powder instead and increase the fruit component. The mustard I was using made up around 30-40% of the final product.

LordViykor said:
I add another 10 ingredients to the mustard when making my sauce.

I think I'll starting using dry mustard powder instead and increase the fruit component. The mustard I was using made up around 30-40% of the final product.

I do believe you can use generic mustard as an ingredient much the same as vinegar or certain kind of salt. Do you mention the name of the company for which you use their sugar for example? No. RaceCity is more or less right on the % thing, but like him I do not know specifics,

Back