seeds Using Saltpeter to soak seeds in...

With my last order of pepper seeds from ChilePlants.com I was asked at check out if I wanted some Saltpeter to soak my seeds in. It is supposed to help sprouting faster. This last batch of seeds I started on 1-19-14 I soaked in Saltpeter for 24 hours. I also have them in a dome with heat mat @ 83 deg F. I have seeds sprouting in 7 days. Well they got their tail. I use the wet paper towel method, and then transfer them to Sunshine #4 potting soil once they have a tail.

Has anyone else tried this? I have only ever used Saltpeter (Potassium Nitrate) as a stump remover. It will rot a stump out in 6 months to a year.

This is my only Extreme hot pepper plant from last year. I had fruit on it up until a week ago. (Trinidad Moruga Scorpion) My friend said his took about 4 weeks to get the seed to sprout.

Is it unheard of getting Carolina Reapers to sprout in a week?

http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/casevideo/library/Trinidad%20Moruga%20Scorpion%20Pepper?sort=3&page=1
Here is where my seeds were soaked for 24 hours, washed, and then placed in paper towel and ziplock bag to sprout. I only use RO water for the soak & sprouts. A lot less algae. Practically zero now.

c8da98a56d0c07e3a98a24700e7bb196_zpse6f38278.jpg

Here is a pic of one of my seeds ready for transplant to potting soil.

7c8837956666e3311ea9664755456a5c_zps18ce0cf2.jpg

Here are the seeds ready for sprouting in bags.

9e5740e80ae888b73c6fcbd5a7e3a920_zps0448fde2.jpg

d861b8138b6c2f14de758ce257e48454_zps0cc6ff0c.jpg

Yes there are a few Pineapple seeds sprouting too. I use Pineapple in my chili to sweeten it.

26cdb5057774bef069fbc552f4f65353_zps8bae17c3.jpg

Here are my few seeds that were ready for potting soil. I had an old Mini-dv tape rack I no longer needed. Perfect container for seedlings.

8857239f7c4f0d06b1eb3978d13ca62f_zps3317f81a.jpg

The seeds in plastic bags are on the bottom, seedlings in potting soil in the Mini-dv rack on top.

46a57897a241095c0b44fbc0fdaf180a_zps6dc1343b.jpg

Seems to me seeds are sprouting faster this year.

So far I have these put into potting soil as of an hour ago.

1 - Jalapeño TAM

1 - Vallero

1 - Carolina Reaper

1 - Ancho 101

I know others have special brews to soak their seeds in. I have only used Saltpeter. My friend uses bleach and hydrogen peroxide diluted down. I know some use tea. What are you guys or gals using out there?

snagglepuss said:
I've just saltpeter for the last 2 years with no problems.
Have you noticed the seeds sprouting faster, and softer seed coats? Less stuck helmets? Seems to me they are kicking off faster.

yeah I've tried tea soaking this year for the 1st time but not had the same results as soaking with saltpeter, all my super hots have germinated with the saltpeter soak with no seed cap issues.

Well from previous growing, I'd say it works. Just my opinion.

I have more seeds sprouting. I only count them once their hook comes out.

Here is my list since Jan 2014.

1 - Jalopeno Tam
(25% germination rate)

4 - Vallero
(100% germination rate)

4 - Carolina Reaper
(66% germination rate)

3 - Ancho 101
(75% germination rate)

1 - Joe Parker
(25% germination rate)

3 - Aji Dulce 1
(75% germination rate)

1 - Aji 2013
(25% germination rate)

These have all been started indoors since the start of 2014. Seems like some seeds have a harder time. Either dormant or non-viable.

Has any one tried stratifying seeds in freezer first like you do for Strawberry seeds? Make them think they just went thru a season.

OKGrowin said:
I soaked mine in tea.

i've heard of putting them in the fridge overnight to simulate season.
What is your success rate % with seeds sprouting with tea? Have you tried putting them in the fridge?

McGuiver said:
What is your success rate % with seeds sprouting with tea? Have you tried putting them in the fridge?
i didn't keep germ numbers, "pretty good, most of them" is my official status lol.
I didnt put them in fridge just direct to heated area (85ish)... BUT they did come in the mail for a week(and sat in my mailbox) when it was the polar vortex crap so i imagine they got cold lol

OKGrowin said:
i didn't keep germ numbers, "pretty good, most of them" is my official status lol.
I didnt put them in fridge just direct to heated area (85ish)... BUT they did come in the mail for a week(and sat in my mailbox) when it was the polar vortex crap so i imagine they got cold lol
This last batch I soaked in Saltpeter for 24 hours. I may try 30 hours next go around. I may also stratify them in the fridge first.

I have 13 varieties coming, and want the best possible out come. My Carolina Reapers are sprouting at 66% rate. I have heard some people complaining how hard they are to sprout.

McGuiver said:
This last batch I soaked in Saltpeter for 24 hours. I may try 30 hours next go around. I may also stratify them in the fridge first.

I have 13 varieties coming, and want the best possible out come. My Carolina Reapers are sprouting at 66% rate. I have heard some people complaining how hard they are to sprout.
do an experiment doing like 3 seeds for each method, then you can tell us what your empirical evidence is.
sounds like you already have a pretty decent method if you're at 66%. There are lots of factors you can't predict / control (seed viability, when pod picked, de seeding method, storage, etc) so will always have a margin of error.

OKGrowin said:
do an experiment doing like 3 seeds for each method, then you can tell us what your empirical evidence is.
sounds like you already have a pretty decent method if you're at 66%. There are lots of factors you can't predict / control (seed viability, when pod picked, de seeding method, storage, etc) so will always have a margin of error.
I agree there are a lot of unknowns. From these seeds I ordered a couple of weeks ago I only did 4 seeds in a batch, except 6 seeds for the Carolina Reapers. I lost about 40+ peppers seeds last year when I planted over 40 ghost peppers. I only got one good seedling. It became a good plant. I traded it to someone else. A few of those 40 sprouted then died. They were outside. Inside was much better. I have all my seeds sprout at 83 deg F with a heat mat this year.

I will do another batch in a week. Will refrigerate the seeds to 24 hours, then soak for 30 hours in SaltPeter. Then I will have some good numbers. I have heard some soak for 48 to 72 hours. Sounds to long to me.

Well I had 2 more sprout today. Just put them in potting soil. Updated my % numbers.

2 - Jalopeno Tam
(50% germination rate)

4 - Vallero
(100% germination rate)

4 - Carolina Reaper
(66% germination rate)

3 - Ancho 101
(75% germination rate)

2 - Joe Parker
(50% germination rate)

3 - Aji Dulce 1
(75% germination rate)

1 - Aji 2013
(25% germination rate)

1 - Cayenne
(100% germination rate)

1 - Mystery Pepper (possible Tepin)
(100% germination rate)

I do have some Trinidad Perfume pepper seeds that have not done a thing. I'm thinking they are bad. They have turned the paper towel a purple color. Has anyone had any luck with Trinidad Perfume peppers?

I just updated my seedling success rate. I just planted 3 more seedlings tonight in soil.

I think the Saltpeter has been a success. The only pepper seeds that flopped are the Trinidad Perfume peppers. 2 seeds rotted after turning dark purple. I think the seeds may not have been viable.

2014 Peppers

Inside:

2 - Jalopeno Tam
(50% germination rate)

4 - Vallero
(100% germination rate)

5 - Carolina Reaper
(83.3% germination rate)

4 - Ancho 101
(100% germination rate)

3 - Joe Parker
(75% germination rate)

3 - Aji Dulce 1
(75% germination rate)

1 - Aji 2013
(25% germination rate)

1 - Cayenne
(100% germination rate)

(100% germination rate)

0 - Trinidad Perfume
(0% germination) lost 2 out of 4 seeds.

Outside:

1 - Thai Pepper "Black Dragon"
(100% germination rate)

1 - Sweet Banana
(50% germination rate)

1 - Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
(100% germination rate)

Had some good numbers with the first round of soaking seeds and srouting seedlings.

2014 Peppers

Inside:

2 - Jalopeno Tam
(50% germination rate)

4 - Vallero
(100% germination rate)

5 - Carolina Reaper
(83.3% germination rate)

4 - Ancho 101
(100% germination rate)

3 - Joe Parker
(75% germination rate)

3 - Aji Dulce 1
(75% germination rate)

1 - Aji 2013
(25% germination rate)

1 - Cayenne
(100% germination rate)

(100% germination rate)

0 - Trinidad Perfume
(0% germination) lost 2 out of 4 seeds.

Soaking time 24 hours.

1 quart of warm water.

1 teaspoon SaltPeter.

My second round of soaking and seedlings just started...

Tabasco Pepper (6 seeds)

Hawaiian Red Kona Pepper (7 seeds)

Trinidad Scorpion Yellow Pepper (6 seeds)

Habanero Francisca Pepper (6 seeds)
(PVP# 9600043)

I will remove from the soak solution in 24 hours, rinse with RO water, then bag and tag in wet paper towel.

Found some really cool Ball canning jar brand spice jars at Walmart. I purchased them to soak seed in because they are glass, and small.
Will post pics Monday night.

Back