• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

news vacuum packed aged

I just made an accidental discovery. I for whatever reason had a vacuum pack of reapers sitting in the back of my fridge for about.... two years! They did not ferment, just turned to mush and sat in their juices. I just opened it, not knowing what to expect. They smelled quite strong but pleasant. I just blended it with some fresh garlic and salt into a paste. It has in my opinion the best flavor i have ever tasted in a super hot product. the flavor is really deep and more on the sweet side. It has none of the fermented acidness but all of the flavor. (not that i don't like ferment, I do but this is just something next level yum.) I am really excited by this! Figured I had to share.

Actually not. I do this all the time - I vacuum pack with 3% salt and either leave them in the fridge for at least 6 months - preferably a year or 2 months in the fermentation chamber (an old non-functional fridge). Absolutely awesome flavour - not lactic tart, just pure chili flavour.

Thank you Robstar! It's good to feel validated. Yes that's exactly it, pure chili with so much depth. Though I did it without salt And it still worked. That surprised me.

Back