• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Vezena Piperka

Hello and welcome to my Vezena Piperka glog.

I have started 6 seeds which have just sprouted, they will be starting life under lights and when our days get a bit longer I will move them into a room that gets 80% of the days sunlight, then when it warms up outside Ieill move them into the greenhouse. They will be growing in a organic soil mix.

I dont know so much about these chilies but they certainly look cool and the reviews I have seen say they are very tasty.

I see there are 2 versions, one that produces large pods and ther other produces small. I believe I have the large ones.

From the little bits of information I can find about Vezena Piperka they seem not to produce alot of pods, but what they lack in yield they make up for in taste and cool looks.

First photo, the Vezena Piperka are the ones in the purple pots

Attachments

• 20200205_092940_resize_74.jpg
    20200205_092940_resize_74.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 149
You will love them.  I grew the large size last year and bought the seeds for the small size to try this year as well.  While not super productive they are definitely still worth growing.  I'll just grow more plants this year.  Besides drying some for a very tasty flake, they were really terrific on the grill.  I was worried I might need to peel the skin because of the texture, but it softened up nicely once cooked so I just left it on.  

I should add that while production wasn't huge, my plants weren't particularly large either - about the size my jalapeno plants grow.  So I'll probably plant them a bit closer together this year as well to up the production per square foot.

I like the sound of cooking them on the grill, are they big enough to stuff?

Just a quick photo update, nothing much to report this early in the grow. They have a little bit of stretch going on so I have moved them closer to the light...

(Purple pots on the left)

Attachments

• 20200211_200440_resize_98.jpg
    20200211_200440_resize_98.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 88
Photo update, they are coming along but I have a bit of leaf curl going on. It's really humid in there as I have cuttings that receive a misting twice a day, they can also be a bit to close to the light. I'm having big problems with my back at the moment and it's very difficult for me to even get out to the garage to check on them let alone give them some TLC. Hopefully I will be able to do something do something few days, I think there ready to come out of the seed starting mix and go into slightly bigger pots with a nice organic soil mix

Attachments

• 20200221_154804_resize_73_crop_84.jpg
    20200221_154804_resize_73_crop_84.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 91
Sorry to hear about your back issues, Swing.
Get better fast!

Good luck getting everything transplanted!

I repotted them a few days ago in slightly bigger pots with a organic soil mix. The cotyledons fell off over the last few days but apart from that they seem to be looking a bit happier now

Attachments

• 20200228_084038_compress85.jpg
    20200228_084038_compress85.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 85
Your plant will like their new homes, Matthew.

I am interested to see how the V-P develops for you,
I'm not familiar with that one.

There starting to grow fairly fast nowI can see roots coming out the bottom of there pots. I would like to put them in much bigger pots now and move them under some better lights.... but I dont have any better lights. We still dont have enough sunlight to move them into my overwinter room, I'm worried they would stretch to much.

Attachments

• 20200313_145932_resize_13.jpg
    20200313_145932_resize_13.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 80
All plants are starting to grow pretty fast ow, they are all coming into flower
The all have edema but I think that was due to the environment in the garage where they lived untill I potted them up and moved them indoors.

Attachments

• 20200331_231259_resize_45_compress50.jpg
    20200331_231259_resize_45_compress50.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 20200331_231423_resize_3_compress99.jpg
    20200331_231423_resize_3_compress99.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 20200331_231434_resize_61_compress55.jpg
    20200331_231434_resize_61_compress55.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 82
Swinglish said:
All plants are starting to grow pretty fast ow, they are all coming into flower
The all have edema but I think that was due to the environment in the garage where they lived untill I potted them up and moved them indoors.

Glad to see flowers forming, Matthew. Next step, pods!

Edema is the curse of indoor grows for me. Nothing much
seems to help in my situation, but once outside, the plants
seem to shake it off on their own.

I had 10 different chili plants growing in the same space but only the Piperka Vezena had edema, last year I had it bad with some habanero.

The first flower opened and its really big, just 1 petal is as big as a whole flower from my other plants. I've only been growing 3 year but in those 3 years I've never seen a flower anywhere near as big as this. It was full of pollen so I'm hoping I have my first fruit on the way. I took some photos but I have run out of space to upload photos here, can anyone recommend a free site to host my photos and share them here?

Swinglish said:
I had 10 different chili plants growing in the same space but only the Piperka Vezena had edema, last year I had it bad with some habanero.

The first flower opened and its really big, just 1 petal is as big as a whole flower from my other plants. I've only been growing 3 year but in those 3 years I've never seen a flower anywhere near as big as this. It was full of pollen so I'm hoping I have my first fruit on the way. I took some photos but I have run out of space to upload photos here, can anyone recommend a free site to host my photos and share them here?
A lot of forum folk use Imgur as a
photo hosting site.

Looking forward to seeing some photos
when you get a hosting site going. The big
flower sounds amazing.

The calyx looks pretty small compared to the size of the flower, I guess the proof will be in the pudding. I know it's a bit early to be sure but it looks like the flowers have pollinated themselves

Nothing else in the room is producing pollen at the moment so I know the seeds from these first pods will be good to grow without worrying about potential cross pollination. As time goes on any plants I want to save seeds from will have to be isolated while flowers are pollinated

Back