• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

video Video: repotting seedlings

I'm curious about the graduation to a slightly larger pot size, versus just going straight to the final full pot size. Is there a benefit, or is it strictly a space saving technique until the weather outside is suitable?

I re-pot the same way.

Things I may add:

I hold the root ball over the new pot and sprinkle Mykos all over it.  1 tsp coming out of starter trays, 1tbsp coming out of solos.

You can bury all the way up to the first set of leaves, or where the stem begins to become woody.  This adds stability.

Phil said:
I'm curious about the graduation to a slightly larger pot size, versus just going straight to the final full pot size. Is there a benefit, or is it strictly a space saving technique until the weather outside is suitable?

The benefit is that when the final plantout comes the more aggressively rooting plants will spend less time rooting.  If you start the plants in the same container they're going to stay in then it's unnecessary.  It's all about personal preference I guess.  If I have a plant that gets root bound in the starter cups then it will slow its growth, I'm trying to avoid that so I have larger plants and larger roots by the time they're ready for the ground.
Scuba_Steve said:
I re-pot the same way.

Things I may add:

I hold the root ball over the new pot and sprinkle Mykos all over it.  1 tsp coming out of starter trays, 1tbsp coming out of solos.

You can bury all the way up to the first set of leaves, or where the stem begins to become woody.  This adds stability.

using a microbial blend is definitely a good thing, but completely unnecessary using the correct soil, or if you added it already if you blended your own soil.  FFOF already has a mycorrhizae mix in it as well as my own soil recipe.  I try to avoid burying plants once the stem becomes woody because it can cause trunk rot.  They're not solanums which have adventitious roots that form from the cilia on the trunk.  My plants are short and stocky from being started under grow lights.

Gotcha. I know that the less aggressive rooters do spend a considerable amount of time establishing roots in larger pots before they really start to grow vegetation after transplant. Was just curious. Thanks

Back