• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Visiting San Diego and San Francisco

Hey all,

I'm visiting SD and SF for most of July this summer. Any suggestions on things, spicy and otherwise, to do?

I'd also be happy to have a beer with any forum members!

Jare

Bubs @ the Ball Park in San Diego has some killer hot wings down in SD. Can't miss the lamplight district while you're down there. Dick's last resort is a cool novelty place to go eat. They treat you like $hit while they serve you. In a fun way.

Thats all I've got for you on SD. Nothing on SF, though I hear you have to try a Clam Chowder in a Sourdough bowl while you're there.

Go to the Mission District in SF and hit all the taquerias and Mexican Grocery stores. You won't be disappointed!

Hit me up and we should go out to the Stone brewery while you are in SD too. I've been meaning to check it out and this sounds like the perfect excuse.

Tacos El Gordo in National City (San Diego) in the straight up Barrio...best tacos EVER! Broken Yoke in Pacific Beach for brunch...if you're feeling froggy they have a food challenge 12 egg omelet, clean the plate (Pizza Platter) and its free + a Tshirt...good luck with that! Another great sit down Mexican spot is Miguel's Cocina in either Point Loma or Coronado Island...good stuff. As mentioned The Stone Brewery is a must see as well. See the beach and coast in as many places as you can while you're down. Every spot is different. Bellmont Park near Pacific Beach and the Cove at La Jolla are two of the best spots...Enjoy your stay, if I am in town I may hit you guys up as well.

This sounds excellent. I'll fire you guys an e-mail here in late June and we'll figure out a plan. I'm staying at my brother's place near the USD campus (I think that's where it is, anyways), but I should be pretty mobile. Looking forward to it.

Dick's last resort is a cool novelty place to go eat. They treat you like $hit while they serve you. In a fun way.

I love the last resort, great steaks in an unpretentious spot. I took a bunch of friends there once and the waitress pissed off a buddy to the point he wanted to leave just before she said just kidding. It was hilarious!!

When in SF check out "The stinky rose" http://www.thestinkingrose.com/ I eat at the location in LA often even though it's more than an hour drive away. It's all about garlic, but they also have a pretty cool hot sauce collection although most of them are just novelty sauces being sold for the cool name and label.

I love the last resort, great steaks in an unpretentious spot. I took a bunch of friends there once and the waitress pissed off a buddy to the point he wanted to leave just before she said just kidding. It was hilarious!!

Similar thing happened when I took my buddy to the one in Vegas. I guess I should have explained the whole routine before we stumbled in there drunk.

Try the "Half-moon and Wharf-man's crack," off of the main Pier 39 . They do some good sausages in buns, and some decent molee.I think menu item no. 8 is the "Chocolate Sausage Dunk". A special that was invented on Alcatraz I believe. A spicy bratwurst with a nice molee served with a nice brown-wheat baguette.You get sourcraut with it and a Pullander.

Be sure to check out North County San Diego. Great beaches, waves..old school surf towns. Las Olas in Solana Beach is an awsome Mexican restaurant with outdoor seating overlooking the beach. Strong margaritas.

To get down and dirty, be sure to check out Ocean Beach where you can everything from tobacco pipes & black light posters to the best fish tacos on the planet. Run don't walk to SOUTH BEACH. It's at the pier end of Newport Ave. Unreal food and over 20 beers on tap.

To chill and just check the surf, ask someone to direct you to Swami's in Encinitas (N. County). A famous surf spot and just a beautiful place to mellow out.

San Diego is a great time.

Enjoy!

In case anyone else happens to see this, I'll be in SD from July 6-22nd and it looks like a few of us are getting together for beer and hot food. If you want to join send me a PM here!

Hot Licks in Sea port village San Diego is a MUST!
http://www.2hotlicks.com/stores.php
3stores.jpg

Sea Port Village is a little Tourist place next to the water in San Diego, I recommend it. most bottles are around $10, not bad. They do Taste testing there as well.

Hmm count me in.

Eric bring some BS pods :hell:

Be sure to check out North County San Diego. Great beaches, waves..old school surf towns. Las Olas in Solana Beach is an awsome Mexican restaurant with outdoor seating overlooking the beach. Strong margaritas.

To get down and dirty, be sure to check out Ocean Beach where you can everything from tobacco pipes & black light posters to the best fish tacos on the planet. Run don't walk to SOUTH BEACH. It's at the pier end of Newport Ave. Unreal food and over 20 beers on tap.

To chill and just check the surf, ask someone to direct you to Swami's in Encinitas (N. County). A famous surf spot and just a beautiful place to mellow out.

San Diego is a great time.

Enjoy!

In OB is a burger spot called HoDads OMFG best burgers in SD by a mile. I heard of it because it has won many awards for best burgers.
logo_hodads.png
http://www.yelp.com/biz/hodads-san-diego-4
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2009/12/hodads_nations_best_burger.php
http://burgerconquest.com/2009/12/31/hodads-tell-me-why-i-have-to-be-a-burger-slave/

Life changing experience, type of burgers :drooling:

I'm near SF, CA and recommend Phat Matt's BBQ in Oakland highly. This is the best BBQ in CA in my opinion.

If you make it, drop me a message - I'd be glad to meet you there for lunch/beers and let you know more about the SF Bay Area!
:cheers:

Scott

I'm near SF, CA and recommend Phat Matt's BBQ in Oakland highly. This is the best BBQ in CA in my opinion.

If you make it, drop me a message - I'd be glad to meet you there for lunch/beers and let you know more about the SF Bay Area!
:cheers:

Scott

deng.. missed this thread... i was in the area today.. ended up at FENTONS creamery

denniz.. i guess next time.. what would u recoomend there

Agh - you've truly missed something spectacular. Phat Matt's is the bomb. Best brisket I've ever had - melts in your mouth good. No salt in their rubs or sauces either. Tremendous smoked meats and the specials are out of this world.

If you're still in town I HIGHLY recommend changing your plans and going to Phat Matt's!

If in SF, the best taqueria I know is Taqueria Cancun in the Mission. Yum - I love that they steam, then grill the burritos (gives them this "freshly baked" taste/texture)

For San Diego, the Gas Lamp district is off the chain - love the cigars from the cigar shop, and there are some very decent restaurants. One mexican restaurant in particular was awesome but the name is escaping me at the moment. I spent 6 months working down there in 2000-2001 and had a great time. Love San Diego - great town, beautiful weather, hot girls, good golf. Can't go wrong.

Back