• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

snack-food Vlasic Bold & Spicy Sweet Chipotle Pickle Spears

I don't regularly purchase cucumber-type pickles at the store. (I buy pickled okra before thinking about cucumbers.) When I do, though, I tend to buy Claussen. But I picked up a jar of these Vlasic pickles this morning as I was curious about them. Like other jars of Vlasic spears they were too soft in the seed region, but the skin had a nice crunch. There are bits of chipotle chile flakes floating in the pickle juice so the juice has a slightly brown tint to it. (For those who don't know, when you mix complimentary colors you get a brown or grey color, and green and red are complimentary colors.) Heat? The package labels these as "medium" heat and I was pleasantly surprised to find the heat was well-retained. Their "medium" is a general consumer medium, but still hotter than the average midwesterner can handle. Flavor? These delivered the chipotle flavor, which was to be expected since they used dehydrated chipotle chiles. The label says it also contains "natural sweet & smokey flavors", which is further described by chemicals I won't list here - probably a form of liquid smoke. All in all, though, there was a nice balance between pickle and chipotle flavors; neither outweighed the other. Overall assessment? While I wasn't a huge fan of the texture, it wasn't off-putting enough that I wouldn't consider buying them again. I did enjoy the flavor balance and can see dicing them up to put on a hamburger or grilled cheese sandwich that many non-chilehead guests would enjoy. 

Back