• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Chopped Throwdown

READ: Who used these the best? SHORT RIBS + RED WINE + PANKO + CANNED CREAMED CORN

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Frydad, heres a few of my attempts from last year, there also has been a hell of a lot of fails.

Most of the stuff i have made is great to eat,look at etc. bust does not last well. Need to make, serve then eat staright away

Chocolate Foam and Strawberry Speres
SDC10735.JPG

Reconstructed Tomato Soup and Balsamic Caviar
1.JPG

Mojito Spheres
12.JPG

Rum Jelly
14.JPG

Pancake with Maple Syrup Caviar
SDC10663.JPG

Maple Syrup Caviar
SDC10669.JPG

awesome!
You use agar agar, or was that sodium alginate and calcium chloride?
(I wanted to do the latter, but couldn't find the chemicals)

Looks really good. I'm not done playing with this stuff either. Looking forward to foams.

Both. I mainly have used sodium align ate and chloride though.

Tend to find any leftover caviar, by the next day has turned rubbery and does not pop when bitten

Frydad how did you mean it didn't hold up, did the caviar melt in the fridge overnight?

It held up in the fridge, but he stored it in water, which leeched out enough flavor to say "it doesn't keep." Both FD and Mrs FD said this meal was awesome. And I KNOW when I see sincerity on their faces. I'd call him on it if I smelled BS.

Trust

Didn't melt but it shrinks when exposed to air. They recommend storing juice pearls in juice.
I stored mine in water. The next day the pearls were very light, and I turned water into wine.

The bottom line, make and serve them the same day. Doesn't store well.

Diggin the avatar. Let it ride a while, Ive been lookin for a change.

P2k better be in next month. Been too long bro!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back