• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Specialty Hot Sauce Throwdown

Best Specialty (Hot) Sauce - SEE 1st POST FOR VOTING INSTRUCTIONS!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Voting was a little tough on this one, but some things don't mash with my palate.  I am all for a butter on my steak, but not a fruity butter.  I am also against all things Truffle oil related.  I had a chef once that used Truffle shavings and Truffle Oil in a Berblanc sauce and put it ontop of a beautiful 10oz fresh Halibut.  AWFUL!! I get the idea of drizzling it on certain items, hell even certain salads, but this Halibut dish was just plain awful!! I ended up telling him that after a couple days as he looked at how much was actually ordered. Needless to say I no longer work there (oops.. :))  For steaks I want something that will give flavor, but not over kill the steak, I want to eat my steak with a spicy red wine.  I just didn't see it with these entrees.  Sorry guys, just my palate.

The Mole from SD looks and sounds awesome! Had to give it to him.  Good job SD!

As for Dessert, well as many know I don't do dessert.  However, I can deffinately appreciate RM's dessert dish.  The fresh crepes, the pairing he chose for the chocolate sauce, Awesome!

Good job to all entrys!

I voted for what i would eat and what i thought went best together.  Scovie i plan on making your dish in the near future.  Sorry i had to vote for my cheesecake on this one.  Made the most sense of all the deserts.   Fruit and butter are little strange together.  Then u add some garlic?  Too weird for me.  I really thought Scovie was going to run away with his dish and win by a landslide.  I knew was in trouble when i saw what rocketman was doing.  I almost made a chocolate sauce for my desert but opted on fruit.  Good job everyone.  Never been a fan of crepes but the sauce looked killer.

Key's Dragon Butter did it for me (minus the BP, of course, and that ribeye closer to rare!) I am definitely going to give this a try, next time I can find dragon fruit around here. 

Jedisushi, your statement "fruit and butter are a little strange together" made me laugh. Ever make or eat an apple pie? Yeah, pats of butter all tucked in with the apple..... And a mix of sweet and spicy - never tried raspberry brownies with pepper powder in the mix? You don't know what you're missing. So yeah, the right fruit with the right savory can be excellent. I'd urge you to give it a try and keep an open mind - you  never know when you're going to unexpectedly find a new favorite!

And RM? RMRMRMRMRM!!!!! I'm not often a chocolate fan, but you nailed this one!

I want to add one thing to my earlier comments.  I was in no way trying to discredit DTS' or anyone else's cooking skills with my photography comments.  DTS is awesome every time.  I was just saying that if you have a great entry and mediocre pictures, that is what the peeps see.  Not everyone delves into the recipes the way THP, Scovie, and others do.  There are many who vote just on the first impressions of the pics.  I am not saying that has killed me, but a few times I think it has hurt me, and may have done the same to others.  I was just trying to give Phil some encouragement and constructive thoughts.

geeme said:
Key's Dragon Butter did it for me (minus the BP, of course, and that ribeye closer to rare!) I am definitely going to give this a try, next time I can find dragon fruit around here. 

Jedisushi, your statement "fruit and butter are a little strange together" made me laugh. Ever make or eat an apple pie? Yeah, pats of butter all tucked in with the apple..... And a mix of sweet and spicy - never tried raspberry brownies with pepper powder in the mix? You don't know what you're missing. So yeah, the right fruit with the right savory can be excellent. I'd urge you to give it a try and keep an open mind - you  never know when you're going to unexpectedly find a new favorite!

And RM? RMRMRMRMRM!!!!! I'm not often a chocolate fan, but you nailed this one!
meant to say fruit and butter on a steak do not go together.  Shit i could have made a compound butter that would have been pretty baller if i knew that's all it took to get votes!  LMAO!  

Man, why does it seem like every TD I get into just seems to be so much more than the last one. The only thing I can think of is it has to be what everyone that enters is bringing to the table, literally :)

I swear that I want to try everyone of these! Now, that said i have to pick which one I'm going to vote for. 

So for the entree it was between Salsa lady's seafood and Scovie's Mole. I LOVE seafood, are yo kidding I live in Florida, and Ann's sauce sounds so good, I'm already thinking of a couple of things I can use it on. Thing is I live in Florida and have seafood so often... On the other hand, I moved to Florida form San Antonio, TX and there is no better place for Mexican food north of the Rio Grande. I really miss Texas and so I went with Scovie's Mole and Brother you need to send me some more of those peppers, after I get moved into the new house, so I can really recreate it.

Desserts, it was really hard to decide between all those sweet  sweet delights. Now I loved, REALLY loved what I created BUT there is one word that always grabs my attention and that word is

Caramel

So, my vote went to Salsa Ladies Caramel Dessert Sauce. 

Way to go y'all, dang it now I'm hungry again......

I wanted to vote for sauces that stayed within the borders of the TD.... a specific sauce designed for a specific dish. But that cheesecake looked too good with that mango mojo sauce that could be poured on everything! And that Squirrely steak sauce just looked like it was well put together, so that's where my votes went. I tried to keep mine specific to one dish. There were so many entries that looked so good they lost their specificity to me. i broke my own rule by voting for the mango sauce, because the chocolate sauce seemed made for those crepes.... I blame the cheesecake for biasing me!

Thanks for the votes, amigos!  We finished off that peach pie this morning.  It was good enough to inspire the kid to make a blueberry pie with me.   :)

RocketMan said:
Man, why does it seem like every TD I get into just seems to be so much more than the last one. The only thing I can think of is it has to be what everyone that enters is bringing to the table, literally :)

I swear that I want to try everyone of these! Now, that said i have to pick which one I'm going to vote for. 

So for the entree it was between Salsa lady's seafood and Scovie's Mole. I LOVE seafood, are yo kidding I live in Florida, and Ann's sauce sounds so good, I'm already thinking of a couple of things I can use it on. Thing is I live in Florida and have seafood so often... On the other hand, I moved to Florida form San Antonio, TX and there is no better place for Mexican food north of the Rio Grande. I really miss Texas and so I went with Scovie's Mole and Brother you need to send me some more of those peppers, after I get moved into the new house, so I can really recreate it.

Desserts, it was really hard to decide between all those sweet  sweet delights. Now I loved, REALLY loved what I created BUT there is one word that always grabs my attention and that word is

Caramel

So, my vote went to Salsa Ladies Caramel Dessert Sauce. 

Way to go y'all, dang it now I'm hungry again......

Funny. That's exactly what I was thinking (except the Florida and Texas stuff). I went with Scovie's mole, with SL's seafood sauce as a close second. She had me at caramel though!

Very nice job by everyone!

Only a few minutes left.

MY PICKS are in the lead!!!! Go Scovie! Go RM!

Come on guys, make this interesting... get your votes in! It's a nail biter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back