• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Waht a miserable year

I do not recall a year as bad as this one, and that includes the 20 years I was raising tobacco. It started with a cat eating the tops off a bunch of my seedlings - I had to but them in a grow box and keep the door closed and then put up barriers for the ones that did not fit.

Then my big sale day was rained out and the main event - a Car Show, was rescheduled for early July. Was invited to another event the following weekend - the night before a huge cold front moved through dropping the temps 25 degrees, plus we had constant winds (cold winds) with gusts up to 35 MPH during the sale. Last year, I sold about 75 plants at one sale, this year about 5!

My rotary tiller, weed eater and lawn mower all died and it was the middle of May before I accumulated enough funds to buy the tiller.

Rains kept the ground wet for a couple of weeks, but then I was able to get some of it worked so I could get my 16" tomato plants out. Finally I was able to get the rest of the garden tiller and everything planted. Then the rains came, and came, and came. The ground stayed wet for three weeks, killing a bunch of stuff, especially potatoes and much of the last tomato plants and letting weeds overtake everything else.

It finally dried out so I could work in it but by then some of the ground was like concrete. Took a day and a half to till and hoe 900 sq. ft.

We had about a month of nice weather, right up until about the end of July. Then it got hot and dry. Real hot and real dry. Plus the whiteflies moved in. They didn't do much damage but didn't help anything. About the same time, a groundhog discovered my garden. Before tomatoes were ripe, he was helping himself to them, what few there were. But with temps in the mid to upper 90s,the maters just sat there. No new blooms, rarely a ripe tom, just orange one. Last year, I had harvested about 650 pounds by this time, this year 50 pounds. Since the end of July we have had maybe 1/2 inch of rain. The peppers are doing okay as is the sorghum but that is about it.

If we don't get a drenching rain this weekend I'm gonna pull up everything and sow some wheat. I have about 12 plants for the GH and another 12 upstairs so I won't have to visit the supermarket but I will end up buying tomato juice and probably potatoes before next summer.

Maybe all this is good, though. Next year should be much better (law of average) and I hope to raise about .5 acre of tomatoes!

Mike

Don't quit the day job! Sorry to hear things did not grow the way you had planned. Can you imagine really living of the harvest from one year to the next and having a bad year and starving to death. Bummer. :mope:

It happens. My first year of having my own tobacco crop, one whose proceeds were to go toward my college tuition was almost as bad: I had about an acre in one spot, a wonderful place next to the Ohio River whose soil was perfect for tobacco. We don't plant until Memorial Day weekend, well after the last spring floods. Not that year. While we only got a little shower, up river in Pittsburgh, they had a torrential downpour that caused the river to rise about six feet. Only lost a few plants to the actual flood, but the soil got some disease and it spread throughout the entire patch. Usually, we would have 1500-2000 sticks per acre - that year I got about 220!

Had another patch - it was the only place in the entire county that it hailed. Did a good job on the that crop.

Mike

WordWiz:
You need to treat yourself this weekend and enjoy some tasty chili...right in your backyard(so to speak)
There is an International Chili Society(ICS) chili cook-off this Saturday at the Greater Cincinnati Fire Museum at
315 W Court Street.
There are a bunch of events planned,and admission to the museum is free that day
All proceeds go to support local firefighters and the museum.

Bill Donovan(a retired Cincy firefighter) and his wife are active ICS competitors, put on a great cook off, and are top shelf "Chiliheads"
There is going to be a pie eating contest for sure, and I think there is also a hot pepper eating contest...so you might even take home a prize.
One thing there will be for sure....is a lot of very good chili to sample and cold beer to rinse it down.
Check out their site:
http://www.iaff2150.org/?zone=/unionactive/view_calendar.cfm&startdate={ts%20'2010-09-01%2000:00:00'}&calendarID=3747686&thisdate={ts%20'2010-09-01%2000:00:00'}

Enjoy!!

I believe you are due for a great year next year. We did not have a productive year here in Washington, but for me, that was the exception. I am going to try to improve on what I can control, and hope for the best for next year. Trying to stay positive helps me to stay motivated for next year and not give up. If you do have a good year next year, it will be that much more satisfying. Good luck.

It was a bad year for many. Mine started bad when I lost a number of plants to a hail storm while I was at work in early May. Spent the better part of that night pulling hail out of my pots andsifting through the garden for sign of life.

The middle of the season was wonderful for me, but now it's slowed to a grind with these huge fluctuations and high winds. Looks like it may be an early winter. :(

So don't feel too bad fellow Ohioan! Others are suffering with ya!

I think it is a bad year all over. Here in France, exactly the same. We have had one week over a 100, but the rest wet and cold. My heirloom tomatoes are about 6 weeks behind. The chillies, take 3 months behind. Most of them carry pods, but will still need 2-3 weeks to turn red. My Bhut Jolokia and Rocopica is doing the worst. The Bhut is about 5 inches tall, and still no sign of flowering. The cantaloupes, well have harvested 1 melon per plant, and I doubt if a second fruit will make it. The only thing doing good is the coriander/cilantro. Whereas other years my plants bolt immediately, I am still enjoying my second seeding since April.
And 2 weeks ago, mildew started setting in on squash, cucumber, melons and zucchini. Some tomatoes also show a fungud, with the fruits showing black spots. Sure is a sorry year.

Back