• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

Devv said:

Nice review Ramon!

Sounds like a pod worth growing!
Thanks Scott and I agree that it’s definitely a plant worth growing with an excellent tasting pod. I’m not sure that I will grow it now but will eventually plant one for sure. I only say this because I want to increase my White grow now, keep the same number of JA Habs and increase the MoAs. I had a few other seeds lined up in front of the "Not Douglah" that I wanted to start as well but loss of memory has struck me by days end today, lol

MGOLD86 said:

Great review Ramon, really nice lookin pepper and you always paint a great word picture!
Thanks Matt and I still have to work harder on including heat levels, because I do agree with your feedback. That said, it’s something hard for me to write about but I will try over time for sure ^_^

Stefan_W said:

Definitely an awesome looking pod. I have never tried one, so I have to be content to live the experience through reading your glog.
Thanks Stefan, I do the same with your write ups and yours are very good my friend ^_^

Today’s update:
A few of the peppers that Jamie (romy6) sent over started looking a little pekid, so I quickly sautéed 2 Yellow primos, 1 brain, 1 Dorsett Naga, 1 Barrackpore, 1 Yellow 7, 1 Yellow Scotch Bonnet with tail , 2 Red Habs (1 of my JA Habs), 3 Tepins, 2 Brainsstrains, and 3 red Not Douglah's. All these along with onions, garlic and the last 5 minutes garbanzo beans.
2eoh9b8.jpg

Off to the grinder, a few secret ingredients, some chill time in da fridge and walla a super tasting cracker dip is born ^_^
qryhit.jpg

Thanks for looking, reading and providing feedback ^_^

The dip looks awesome! It reminds me of humus, except with garbanzo beans instead of chick peas. And with loads of heat added, of course. 

You are the first person I have seen cooking with a barrackpore. I hear those have phenomenal heat, but are a bit on the battery acid side of the pepper universe. 

Ramon, gagagagadododada, slobber . . . now that had to be the warmest hummus. Yum! And so glad you love the yellow 7. Very versatile fruity heat! I too love your descriptions of the peppers because you focus on flavor (and with an entrancing, writing style: with more depth and "plurality of reality" than Hemingway; more in the style of Wilson Harris, which would be my highest compliment) while never neglecting the heat factor. Add the beauty of the podography ;) !

Blown away by the MoA's. Your JA Habs are pounding out beautiful pods; can hardly wait until MoA's next year! :party: (Also posted that pic you wanted. With brief descriptor.) Just gorgeous pods on all! Powders look :drooling: :drooling:. London broil, the omelets, geez!

Brethern, your killing me with your cooking :) That steak looked perfect.

Man, your really pulling in the MOAs, are they just that prolific of a producer or do you just have a bunch of them growing? Either way you seem to be swimming in the yellow peppers. But that's not a bad thing :)

Devv said:
I've made the garbanzo bean dip before, now where did I get that recipe?

As always good stuff my friend!
I am sure your dips are as great and I for one would love to try yours next time I pass thru TX … or hail me if you pass thru South FL and I’ll whip one up for you :) That said, I hope you have experimented with it like I do. I’ve deviated substantially from a basic hummus recipe. In your case you have lots of goodies in da garden to grind in ^_^

MGOLD86 said:
Yea, I will boycott this log if the recipe isn't posted!  :D
Sorry to read that brethren, you will be missed ;) only kidding, haha, it’s in my glog somewhere, I can’t recall where or what page. Every time I make dips I try to change the recipe just enough to keep the family guessing or excited for what flavor is next. The one thing that remains constant is the picante (heat level) and we love it hot! This one featured an Italian taste, some are seafood taste, Cuban taste, Pizza taste etc, etc, etc … Playing with flavors and the unique taste of different peppers is awesome IMHO but hey I’ve seen what you whip up great foodies, so I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know ^_^ 

Stefan_W said:
The dip looks awesome! It reminds me of humus, except with garbanzo beans instead of chick peas. And with loads of heat added, of course.
You are toying with me aren’t you??? Chickpeas are AKA Garbanzo bean, Ceci bean, Sanagalu, Chana, Hummus and Bengal gram.
Stefan_W said:
You are the first person I have seen cooking with a barrackpore. I hear those have phenomenal heat, but are a bit on the battery acid side of the pepper universe.
Well both my son and I ate a small piece of pod wall & placenta … I can not argue with your assessment … that beautiful pod is pure fire but I did not feel that it could be compared to battery acid although the 2 we had were overly ripe and that might be the difference. I find that some peppers just taste better when they get soft (over ripen) while others taste better crisp. From the super picante pods that I have tasted, I prefer them soft because that lowers or eliminates any bitter taste if there is any at all but heck I'll try them crisp too ...

annie57 said:
Ramon, gagagagadododada, slobber . . . now that had to be the warmest hummus. Yum! And so glad you love the yellow 7. Very versatile fruity heat! I too love your descriptions of the peppers because you focus on flavor (and with an entrancing, writing style: with more depth and "plurality of reality" than Hemingway; more in the style of Wilson Harris, which would be my highest compliment) while never neglecting the heat factor. Add the beauty of the podography ;) !
Thank you Annie, I enjoy your writing style as well, it’s awesome muchacha!

annie57 said:
Blown away by the MoA's. Your JA Habs are pounding out beautiful pods; can hardly wait until MoA's next year! :party: (Also posted that pic you wanted. With brief descriptor.) Just gorgeous pods on all! Powders look :drooling: :drooling:. London broil, the omelets, geez!
Thank you and hope you enjoy … plus I’m looking forward to seeing your MoAs grow and the plants too ;)

RocketMan said:
Brethern, your killing me with your cooking :) That steak looked perfect.

Man, your really pulling in the MOAs, are they just that prolific of a producer or do you just have a bunch of them growing? Either way you seem to be swimming in the yellow peppers. But that's not a bad thing :)
I have 3 large plants going but I want to start more, one of them isn’t doing that well now and last night I just pulled all the last pods left on the 3 (will post pics later as I’ve not edited them yet). When I get home from work later I’ll start processing some and take more pics, thanks for the foodie kudos brethren. BTW did you want some MoA seed, just PM me … thought I had asked before o_O

Devv said:
Matt, WG posted the recipe a while back, before Fathers day, as I made it for company....fantastic! It just disappeared...
I know you guys have MoA seeds ... so a double pack of MoA seeds goes to the first n00b that finds the post which Scott is refering to and posts a link here (limited to the continental USA, sorry guys my international shipments haven’t been that successful)

I have one JA Hab plant that pumps out some interesting looking pods often. Check out the one below, too bad it was damaged but once cut open I noticed that ½ of it was perfectly fine so I ate it, hehehe

29lh9bc.jpg

2qai91i.jpg

2hcn7dy.jpg

o02dj6.jpg

15ib7sh.jpg

Half of the White Bhuts but enough for family, the rest are still green on the plant. I'll try to show how she's changed from the stalk damage soon ....
bcyza.jpg

Holy smoke Raymon that is a lot of heat in that dip. Better have a few cold beers to wash that love down. 

And I am loving the MoA's. A tasty ass treat after a long hard day at work.  :party:

:dance:  Keep your grow on bro. Have a great weekend!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance:

romy6 said:
Holy smoke Raymon that is a lot of heat in that dip. Better have a few cold beers to wash that love down.

And I am loving the MoA's. A tasty ass treat after a long hard day at work.  :party:

:dance:  Keep your grow on bro. Have a great weekend!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance:
Yea the dip came out a little hot but remember the cooking, mixing in other ingredients does tame the heat and the beers went great with it. I’m happy you enjoy the MoA taste, I can’t wait to see your plant pumping out mucho pods like your other plants do. I have no doubt that you will have some giant MoA producers, as always Jamie tanks mon!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Man I would be making some amazing sauce or fresh jerk with those MoA's! They look awesome for damn sure!
Good point Chris, I’m working on a new recipe for MoA sauce and I haven’t nailed it yet on taste so these went for powder as I do not like freezing the MoA pods compared to all the other pods I freeze. Plus I love the taste of MoA & Mango powder it's awesome! I’m hoping to have another good pull in October and my new recipe should be ready by then.

Devv said:
Wow I'm impressed with the MoA performance! JA's aint slackin' neither!

White Bhuts are producing well too!

Very nice haul!

That JA pod is rather interesting....
Thanks Scott and like I said to Jamie, I can’t wait to see your MoA grow too with that incredible jungle you grow. I have no doubt with your mad skills that you’ll have some beautiful MoAs ^_^

annie57 said:
Ah, Ramon; describe that JA Hab for us, querido :party: I ground up a couple like that yesterday. I thought, " :censored: ."
Are you asking for a JA Hab review? I was hoping you or someone else growing her would do one. IIRC I did a very good description of her earlier on in my glog but I’m not sure where??? If you insist I’ll try to put something mas official together for you soon …

Here is one of the 3 clones of the White Bhut Jolokia started in plain rain water. Hope to plant her dis weekend time permitting.
fbbaq1.jpg

iy0bcm.jpg
t68lew.jpg

These 2 White Bhut Jolokia clones were started in soil, one is doing better as you can see.
2qa48b7.jpg

10p0r4h.jpg

MoA update, largest one on left is 37 inches tall and still growing, the one in the middle has halted growth probably from the aphids and the far right one is still growing…
fokawl.jpg

Largest MoA followed by the one who’s halted …
2mdrr6o.jpg
25sptf9.jpg

314duab.jpg

Lot’s going on today, wife and kids pulling me in all directions and hopefully I’ll get back out into the garden later and take some more update shots but for now I hope everyone has a great Saturday \o/

The MoAs look awesome!

The clone you show in the pic sure does have an impressive root system going. That is pretty much the whole battle with getting plants off to a good start, so I am sure this one will work out well for you.

Have a great weekend!

Back