• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Want to use leftover peat-based shrimp compost indoors

Hello all,

Last summer, I used shrimp compost in my fabric pots and it performed real well.

I have sown some seeds for next year into peat and am now ready to transplant. I had leftover std potting mix that I mixed with leftover shrimp compost adding some perlite.

I noticed it was kinda heavy and with very little particles. I am afraid it will clog up and rot the tender roots.

Do you guys have suggestion to recuperate this mixed stuff?

Thanks,
Teurf

i can tell you what i did with peat lite... discarde half of it. makeup the the other half with new mix.

peat decomposes fairly fast. when it decomposes it gets far denser like you noted.

getting rid of half of it it just a happy middle ground, new fresh is always better, but not so much so that it justifies the cost.

as far as recuperating it? only thing you can do is add more perlite.

do you have a good gram scale and some volumetric measuring cups? you can measure the bulk density if so....

post-4713-0-69864500-1421115868_thumb.jpg
:rofl:

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

queequeg152 said:
i can tell you what i did with peat lite... discarde half of it. makeup the the other half with new mix.

peat decomposes fairly fast. when it decomposes it gets far denser like you noted.

getting rid of half of it it just a happy middle ground, new fresh is always better, but not so much so that it justifies the cost.

as far as recuperating it? only thing you can do is add more perlite.

do you have a good gram scale and some volumetric measuring cups? you can measure the bulk density if so....

Instead of putting away half of it, I could just add more potting mix and perlite I guess? I did a soaking test putting it in a solo cup and wetting it. It compacted considerably letting away black juice from the compost.

I also have some leftover coco coir from last year. Would it be better than simple potting mix?

I do have a gram scale and volumetric cups. Is there an ideal bulk density?! 

Teurf said:

Instead of putting away half of it, I could just add more potting mix and perlite I guess? I did a soaking test putting it in a solo cup and wetting it. It compacted considerably letting away black juice from the compost.

I also have some leftover coco coir from last year. Would it be better than simple potting mix?

I do have a gram scale and volumetric cups. Is there an ideal bulk density?! 

ideal bulk density should be like..

.1 - .25 grams per cubic centimeter. (IMO)

most natural soils are above .5 though.

you can measure the bulk density by drying out the soil in an oven... fluff it out as if it were in a container naturally, then weigh a known volume.

divide weight by volume

Back