• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Water dripper system configuration

I bought a Mister Landscaper dripper system last night at Lowes to prepare for an upcoming vacation. Plus it will be nice not having to water my plants manually :cool: Does anyone have a ratio that they suggest I use for gallons per hour/times per day/time per spray? I bought the adjustable drippers that click with each setting. I think they go up to around 22 to 25 clicks and are rated at 0-10 gallons per hour. I currently have my timer set to every 6 hours to run 30 minutes with the drippers on 5 clicks. My guess is that 5 clicks is around a gallon or 2 an hour, so a half gallon + each 6 hours is the current setting. I plan on taking one of the dippers this evening and putting it in a bucket to see a more accurate result of what is really coming out.

Are you watering just peppers or other vegetables also? Also are the in pots or in the ground?

All of the above :) The majority of my plants are peppers but I have two tomato plants. 9 out of 26 plants are in 5 gallon buckets. The rest are in a 12x6 raised bed.

I water peppers with a drip system every other day for about an hour, getting roughly 2 gals per hour. Some are in the ground and some are in pots. That allows the ones in pots to wilt slightly before each watering. My tomatoes get more water than that but I don't remember what they are set at. ONe other thing is that all of my peppers are on their 3rd year so they are not as sensitive as first year plants.

Something else that also plays into this is how much moisture your soil retains, especially in the pots as they can get water logged easily if the soil retains alot of moisture.

I'm watering with 1 gph emitters 10 mins every other day. Water runs out of the bottom of my #5 containers before the time is up. Occaisionally some plants with heavy sun exposure get some extra hand watering in the evening. My raised beds are also set at 10 min with the same emitters. I can also bottom water or feed my raised beds if necessary. Had to go to every other day to keep mold from growing under the mulch layer. I try to run my set up just mid morning or no later than noon.

Mike Edit; the mold was not caused by the emitters it was from a 90 degree spray head

I am apparently watering them too much then! They haven't even been installed a whole day yet so I will get home and adjust them to your same setting. TX and TN have similar weather so I'd say your measurement is probably pretty accurate. I am still going to put a dripper in a bucket to see how much 5 clicks is really giving me per hour. Thanks for your input!

I would personally try it at different settings to get it where you are comfortable with it, as everyones soil is different as is their weather. When I did mine I made sure the dirt in the top 6 inches of the pot was starting to dry before I water again, which is the same day my plant would wilt from the heat. For younger plants this might not be the best idea as it can harm them.

And as was stated above, AJ has a very good thread on the topic of drip irrigation that is worth the time reading.

I read a lot of stuff on here prior to the purchase and came across his awesome thread. I was just seeking further feedback from folks who use a similar system. I'll take all this info and apply it this evening, gives me a great place to start! Thanks again!

I just got a mister landscaper vegetable garden drip kit, it was pretty easy to install and will definitely save me some water and time watering manually.  My chiles are in raised beds spread about 18 inches apart.  Any do's and don't you guys have come across with these systems?

Back