• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water water, water, and more water

Josh said:
Hey Mike,
Why from the toilet tank and not the faucet? I mean The water that comes into the tank is the same as the water that comes out of your faucet but I am just curious.

My guess is that the toilet tank water has longer to sit, hence less chlorine.

Josh said:
Hey Mike,
Why from the toilet tank and not the faucet? I mean The water that comes into the tank is the same as the water that comes out of your faucet but I am just curious.

Novacastrian said:
My guess is that the toilet tank water has longer to sit, hence less chlorine.

Nova,

That is something I never thought of, but it would only apply for the first gallon.

The reason is much simpler - I don't have a faucet that I can get more than about a quart at a time from. The sink is not deep enough to allow me to stick a 2-quart container in it and fill it even close to the top or even half-way.

One of these days, I'll get around to adding a spigot to the semi-finished shower stall. It's on my to-do list.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Nova,

That is something I never thought of, but it would only apply for the first gallon.

The reason is much simpler - I don't have a faucet that I can get more than about a quart at a time from. The sink is not deep enough to allow me to stick a 2-quart container in it and fill it even close to the top or even half-way.

One of these days, I'll get around to adding a spigot to the semi-finished shower stall. It's on my to-do list.

Mike

Oh alright.

Novacastrian said:
Is that after yopu teach it to sit, roll over and shake hands?

LOL, I read somewhere that it's a good idea because of the chlorine in the water supply, I don't know if it makes a difference letting it stand/sit for 24 hours.

Hey i reckon that you should use bore (ground) water on your plants, they would be happy campers indeed. They say in the uk one can detect prozac in the ground water!!

rainbowberry said:
LOL, I read somewhere that it's a good idea because of the chlorine in the water supply, I don't know if it makes a difference letting it stand/sit for 24 hours.

I'd say it does.

We have good aquifer water here, but the city clorinates it..ugh.

You can tell teh different by smell and taste.
I keep a big jug of water in the fridge for drinking and it's very different tasting than the fresh outa the tap once the clorine bleeds off overnight

I'd imagine the plants would prefer it too. :)

I frequently have to test the ppm's and ph of my well water since it can change during melting season and during heavy rains. My water is normally hard, at around 300 or more ppm and ph is fairly neutral(7ish).

joeknowsjolokia said:
Not to make it difficult, but its not that serious of an issue!:)

No not really ;) unless in very special cases like after the Chernobyl disaster, we got a lot of radioactive rain here where I live.

I use mainly tap water - if the fish in my aquarium thrive in water straight from the tap I'm sure the plants won't mind either. We have excellent water here and it's not even chlorinated. I do save and use the water from the aquarium when I change it - stupid to waste the leftover food and the fish-excrements I siphon out of the tank. I can understand the concern though, I lived on Long Island for a year and the water there was nasty. If you took a shower the bathroom smelled like a public bath, I didn't drink a single glass of water from the tap for that whole year...

city water does have federal EPA limits on the amount of ________ in it. you fill in the blank. this includes chlorine - sometimes they may dose it higher if you've have a water main break or something to that effect. but then there's usually a boil order in effect. but i have read that if you leave tap water out over night it helps the chlorine escape.

if you have to worry about the quality of rain water due to poor air quality I would say it's time to move.

peter pepper said:
city water does have federal EPA limits on the amount of ________ in it. you fill in the blank. this includes chlorine - sometimes they may dose it higher if you've have a water main break or something to that effect. but then there's usually a boil order in effect. but i have read that if you leave tap water out over night it helps the chlorine escape.

if you have to worry about the quality of rain water due to poor air quality I would say it's time to move.

And comming from indiana, that says alot!:P

peter pepper said:

Not wanting to start (or continue?) a stupid argument, but still - I wouldn't move to an area where I had to worry about the tapwater when watering my plants or cleaning the aquarium.

MrArboc said:
Not wanting to start (or continue?) a stupid argument, but still - I wouldn't move to an area where I had to worry about the tapwater when watering my plants or cleaning the aquarium.

And that is why you don't live in the USA. ;)
I don't rly want to, but i don't hava choice atm.

I'm jus glag don't live east, where all the decades of manufacturing without constraints is coming home.

Back