• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Wats A Hydro-System?

Um..Wat a hydro-System..? Im sorry if I sound retarted..or sumthing..but I see paople wit there hydro systems..and I just wanna know wat it is..?

Hydro (hydroponics):

Hydroponics is the science of growing plants without the use of soil but by use of an inert medium (sand, gravel) and water/nutrient solution containing all the elements required by the plant for normal growth. One of the primary benefits of hydroponic gardens is that it requires approx 5% of the water required for conventional farming which makes it particularly attractive to chile growers in arid climates.

Ok..SO i was wondering if I can make like a solo unit just for one plant..like to experiment.? Also wat kind of nutrients u put in wate? and where do u get them..? Store..or like home-made..?

Check hydroponic sites on the web.

Hydro is not rocket science and you will be able to build your own after having looked at what is available commercially on the web.

Single pots are common and are called bato buckets.

If you are looking for a book, this is the best one I have found:

http://www.howtohydroponics.com/

Turkey said:
Ok..SO i was wondering if I can make like a solo unit just for one plant..like to experiment.? Also wat kind of nutrients u put in wate? and where do u get them..? Store..or like home-made..?

I'm going to deactivate my ebb & flow hydro.
Too much trouble for a small space.
I've started to replace it with the manual watering and using coco coir.

If you plan to try hydro I suggest you do the same.
Cheap and works good.
Buy coco coir and coco nutrients and simply water approx every 2 days and feed once a week.
You will need to go to a hydro shop to get these or order online but coco coir is heavy so shipping could be expensive.
You could also use pro-mix (Sphagnum Peat Moss) that can be easily found locally and just order the nutrients online.

Don't use Miracle-Gro it won't work well. You need special nutients solution.

habman said:
I'm going to deactivate my ebb & flow hydro.
Too much trouble for a small space.
I've started to replace it with the manual watering and using coco coir.

If you plan to try hydro I suggest you do the same.
Cheap and works good.
Buy coco coir and coco nutrients and simply water approx every 2 days and feed once a week.
You will need to go to a hydro shop to get these or order online but coco coir is heavy so shipping could be expensive.
You could also use pro-mix (Sphagnum Peat Moss) that can be easily found locally and just order the nutrients online.

Don't use Miracle-Gro it won't work well. You need special nutients solution.

I see all my preachings on the wonders of coco coir haven't fallen on deaf ears :rolleyes:

Txclosetgrower said:
I see all my preachings on the wonders of coco coir haven't fallen on deaf ears :rolleyes:

Hihi yeah!
To be honest doing ebb & flow hydro in a small space if a major pain in the @ss.
It was fun for a few months but with the summer heat it gets hard to control the nutrient solution because of the evaporation.
Changing the nutrient solution every 2 weeks, cleaning the pump, bubbler and all took about 1-2 hours!

I'm very impress by coco.
How often do you feed? once every 2 weeks?

habman said:
Hihi yeah!
To be honest doing ebb & flow hydro in a small space if a major pain in the @ss.
It was fun for a few months but with the summer heat it gets hard to control the nutrient solution because of the evaporation.
Changing the nutrient solution every 2 weeks, cleaning the pump, bubbler and all took about 1-2 hours!

I'm very impress by coco.
How often do you feed? once every 2 weeks?

Nope, you feed with every watering. It is like hydro in that aspect, where you always use nutrient solution. The main difference is in the watering intervals (1/48hours instead of 4-5/24hours) and the fact that you use 1 nutrient solution for both veg & flowering, the only thing you change is concentration.

Depending on what kind of coco you go with, you may need to pre-flush it with pH adjusted water, but most coir these days is pre-flushed.

Back