• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Way too many peppers!!!!!

This year I have a ridiculous crop of all of my pepper varieties. I planted nearly 100 plants which have all done well. I have about 15 plants that I don't really know what to do with though. Hot Paper Lantern, Hot Lemon, and Dong Xuan. I don't have any tomatoes ripe yet, so I can't make any salsa. Any suggestions?

Pickle as many as you can. If you have larger milder varieties like Giant Marconi, Anaheim, Poblano, etc you can also stuff those and freeze them. 100 plants? I have trouble keeping up with the 24 I planted, I've got about 40 banana peppers I still have to pickle real soon.

I have about 5 tomato plants and so far I've had to make salsa and pasta sauce from scratch a couple of times to use them all.

I forgot to mention hot sauce. There's a stickied thread on how to make it, with 100 plants I'd be willing to bet you have lots of each variety? That means you can make a lot of pure sauce (sauces made from only 1 type of pepper). A couple years ago I had 100's of habanero peppers and I made a pure orange habanero hot sauce, I still have some 2 years later and its delicious.

I've never really like pickled peppers that much, but maybe I just didn't like the kind of peppers that were in the jars. I definitely wish I had ripe tomatoes for salsa, but they look like they are still a couple of weeks away from being ripe. I slice most of my peppers the long way, take out the seeds, and freeze them on a tray, then bag them in ziplocs. I haven't tried making any hot sauce. Hopefully it isn't too hard.

Invest in a dehydrator, You can get a decent one for about $50, then you can keep dried whole pods, make pepper flakes, chile powder, paprika, etc.
I live in a farming community so people often set up tables in front of their houses with their extra produce. Usually they have a coffee can or cash box that says "donations welcome" Its a good way to share with the neighbors and get the locals into chile growing.

Check out PEPPERMEISTER! for chile recipes, gardening tips, and info.

Hot Lemon Cheesecake.... ;)

Hot Lemons generally work well in any recipe that includes lemon or works well with a citrusy tang. I 'specially love using 'em to spice up such deserts and baked treats. Play around a bit!

Hot Lemon Cheesecake.... ;)

Hot Lemons generally work well in any recipe that includes lemon or works well with a citrusy tang. I 'specially love using 'em to spice up such deserts and baked treats. Play around a bit!
Last year I made a Habanero cheesecake. I liked it, but nobody else that tried it did.

Back