• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

We got ourselves a hook!

I'm using coffee filters to germinate some rocoto seeds. Found one of the seeds had a hook today, should I go ahead and toss it in a cup with some soil (actually coir) or wait a couple more days?

Get it in soil now. Now that it has germinated, any longer on paper is wasted time. I germinate my seeds on paper towels and I just plant all my seeds of one variety as soon as I see a radicle emerge in one of the seeds. The longer the root grows on paper, the more chance of damage when you remove it or plant it. Also, it seems like seeds are more susceptible to fungal attack when in the overly-moist environment of germ paper. Helmet head seems to be more common when seeds grow too long out of soil, too.

I started soaking my seeds in paper towels soaked with a chamomile tea solution on December 31. I kept them in there for 4 days, and planted them on the 3rd. The first Bhut came up on the 7th, just 4 days :party: The seeds barely showed any signs of germination in the paper towels as well, but most came up in the last week.

I tend to leave them in damp paper towel until they're fairly well developed. I've had issues with them dying off after planting them when they've only got a short tap root poking out. Since then I've left them longer. In fact I've left them so long that they've sprouted and grown to a point where they've shed their case and had their cotyledon's seeking light. If they grow into the paper towel I just tear that little bit off and plant it too.

Blister said:
I tend to leave them in damp paper towel until they're fairly well developed. I've had issues with them dying off after planting them when they've only got a short tap root poking out. Since then I've left them longer. In fact I've left them so long that they've sprouted and grown to a point where they've shed their case and had their cotyledon's seeking light. If they grow into the paper towel I just tear that little bit off and plant it too.

I did that once, but found it was more troublesome to plant than seeds.

I don't recommend it, just something I've done in the past. It was mainly due to the fact that others had sprouted, grown, and were planted in coco. The rest were left in paper towels until I was sure that the ones in pots were going to go.

Back