• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

We Worry to much!

They have been in business for 40 years. If they are incorrect then someone should tell them. :lol:

I just went back to their website to shoot them email pointing them to this thread (to give them a chance to get in on the debate) and there is no email. If you want to order seeds you have to print a form, fill it in by hand, and then MAIL it to them.....

I guess no inclusion for them...

If one was growing in say promix then fertilizer would be needed. If your growing in potting mix fertilizer may not be needed for a month or so. I grow huge jalapeno bushes in #2 nursery pots. At the first month of repotting to the 2 gal I dont fertilize. Once the plant is producing and used up most of the nutrients in the soil I then fertilize with a complete hydroponic bloom fertilizer at 1/4-1/2 strength every watering. If the temprature is perfect and the plant is growing fast then you should fertilize. If it is not the best conditions and the plant is not growing at a fast rate fertilizing will be bad. A reason slow growing Succulents like cacti get fertilized with very low fertilizer dilution.

I used to grow all soilless so that is why i had a lot of veg nutrients like miracle gro all purpose and some Botanicare pure blend pro grow. A side from some soilless pine bark media, I am just using bagged potting mix and a bloom fertilizer this year. Keeps things easy.

I probably should have added that augmenting in some silica (by itself--still cutting out most of the other crap I have been feeding my plants) is still a large step down for me when it comes to playing around with my plants.

I would prefer to find a source of silica that can be added straight to my mix prior to pot up but by the sounds of it, such sources of silica either require time to break down or are simply a form of silica that is not available to plants. I am a bit hesitant to do it, but I will most probably end up going for and regularly feeding my plants a liquid source (i.e. micronised diatomaceous earth). That being said, my current worm-fish-seaweed based liquid fertilizer/plant food *does* already contain small amounts of silica... I just want to push the levels a little bit and see if I notice any improvement--even in the slightest--in plant strength and pest resistance. It is also said that silica should assist in a plant's ability to take up minerals (really then, eliminating the so-called "need" to be feeding plants obscene amounts of minerals).

Either I'm getting better at focussing on what's really important... or I haven't really learned anything at all! :lol:

I probably should have added that augmenting in some silica (by itself--still cutting out most of the other crap I have been feeding my plants) is still a large step down for me when it comes to playing around with my plants.

I would prefer to find a source of silica that can be added straight to my mix prior to pot up but by the sounds of it, such sources of silica either require time to break down or are simply a form of silica that is not available to plants. I am a bit hesitant to do it, but I will most probably end up going for and regularly feeding my plants a liquid source (i.e. micronised diatomaceous earth). That being said, my current worm-fish-seaweed based liquid fertilizer/plant food *does* already contain small amounts of silica... I just want to push the levels a little bit and see if I notice any improvement--even in the slightest--in plant strength and pest resistance. It is also said that silica should assist in a plant's ability to take up minerals (really then, eliminating the so-called "need" to be feeding plants obscene amounts of minerals).

Either I'm getting better at focussing on what's really important... or I haven't really learned anything at all! :lol:

Potassium silicate is a good choice. Like Dyna Gro Pro-Tekt.

Thanks for the tip, Capsicum, but at this point I will probably go for this stuff here and see how it goes: Micro-Sil

It's from the same guys who do the liquid fert (Triple Boost) I was talking about--which I get great results from using.

Back