• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Weak stem problem

My plants are all about 6-8 inches tall and I've kept a fan on them some of the time, but they have some funky shapes in their stems close to the groundline. It's where they've laid down and then sprouted back up. Can I bury them a little deep and cover up the 'L' shape in the next pot or should I keep the groundline the same and hope they straighten up? Is this really bad for the plant?

I don't think burying the stem would be a bad idea if stem integrity is likely to cause you a problem later on. Praxxus on youtube has done it with some chillies. Just remember to remove leaves that sit on the soil to prevent soil borne diseases. There is confusion as to whether new roots will grow in this area. The general consensus is that it works for tomatoes, but roots don't grow higher than the cotyledons of chillies, but I'm guessing that's not your issue.

Also if you're having trouble with lanky stems, as I have had with mine (especially the baccatums) you can cut them back and encourage bushier growth and a lower centre of gravity by allowing side shoots to grow. Low light also encourages long thin stems so more light if possible could help. It seems to me to be a more genetic disposition. Some people who grow cannabis actually encourage damaging the stems (slightly) by pressing on them which makes the plants fortify their stems to combat the environmental pressure, as is the same idea with blowing a strong fan on them.

If all else fails, just stake 'em.

Oy. Weak stems are usually caused by a soil surface fungus called damping off. NOT good. Scrape the surface of the soil off, then spray it with hydrogen peroxide. Do a search on damping off on this site. They MAY recover if you can get rid of it. Make sure you use a fan in the room to help dry out the surface of the soil, and bottom-water.

If the weakness is simply from a past issue or lack of wind bury them deep. Each year at plant out mine are 4-7 inches tall when I take them out in the trays and after plant out my garden is full of plants that are 2-3 inches tall. I rarely give them wind and have found the stem is strong enough to stand at 4-7 inches and the top 2-3 are strong enough to take nature's wind.

AAAAAhnC5_EAAAAAAFIwHw.jpg

Oy. Weak stems are usually caused by a soil surface fungus called damping off. NOT good.

+1

Another simple solution is a weak chamomile tea misted onto the soil surface with a spray bottle two to three times per week.
Chamomile tea contains anti-fungal properties.

Cya

Datil

Back