Web developement software

CAPCOM said:
Thanks for all the feedback. Lots of options and tough to make a decision, well, at least an educated one. Last week I contacted grantmichicaels and JHP and have been communicating back and forth to the point I made the decision to install joomla. As a matter of fact, after a couple days of watching videos and fighting with a finicky install, I have it up and running.

Thanks Chris and Grant for the steadfast support.
check out virtuemart for the store plugin.

hand-rolling: not reaching for a framework until the pain is unbearable ...
NIH: not invented here ... even though it's been done many times in ways that cover 90% of my needs, I'm still going to do my own from scratch ...
10x son of a bitch: I get as much work completed as ten other programmers and am an asshole.
shed: see bike shedding ...

It was a joke, and those aren't really good things ;)

Yeah, I know, resurrecting a dead horse. 

Website went to the way side for a while, and I am starting to regenerate interest in getting it up and running.
I have Joomla 3.4.8 installed and running. Undecided on the template I will ultimately be using and am in the process of acquiring some extensions. 

If Anyone is familiar with or has joomla running and some advice or suggestions on what extensions they found to be inexpendable or sources for some nice templates, I am interested to hear of them.

try Artisteer if you can get a demo... it's compatible with joomla... otherwise..... save a page you like and try using it as a base.

After about 3 months farting around with the wix html builder I am pretty underwhelmed.  Have a friend working on it to see if they can do better, but I'm beginning to lose hope that I can realize the site as I want it.  

tsurrie said:
try Artisteer if you can get a demo... it's compatible with joomla... otherwise..... save a page you like and try using it as a base.
I downloaded the demo yesterday. I haven't even gotten a handle on joomla yet, so attempting artisteer would probably complicate things further.
But I will take a crack at it sooner or later. 

SmokenFire said:
After about 3 months farting around with the wix html builder I am pretty underwhelmed.  Have a friend working on it to see if they can do better, but I'm beginning to lose hope that I can realize the site as I want it.  
what is it you are trying to do?

grantmichaels said:
what is it you are trying to do?

mostly get a working website.  ;)  we've made some headway and I feel pretty good about our progress.  if we stall you'll be receiving a pm.  

SmokenFire said:

mostly get a working website.   ;)  we've made some headway and I feel pretty good about our progress.  if we stall you'll be receiving a pm.  

haha, that's fine, but I meant - what is it you are trying to do that's making garden-variety solutions not work? ... or are you having trouble getting garden-variety stuff to work? ...

grantmichaels said:

haha, that's fine, but I meant - what is it you are trying to do that's making garden-variety solutions not work? ... or are you having trouble getting garden-variety stuff to work? ...

Mostly it appears Wix wants us to purchase their add ons and things that work on other sites doesn't work on wix.  Overall I feel like they were promising Thomas' and sold me toast.  I went into it determined to boot strap every detail on my own, which is why I went with wix because of their site building tools.  I found out shortly thereafter that I bit off more than I could chew - the site was not what I wanted; didn't look like what I envisioned, did not track inventory as I wanted, did not work with the auto shipping calculator I found, etc etc.  I'm certain that most of the issue is me, but I've had three other people working on it with similar results.  Still I've paid wix for the domain, hosting, email and everything else so I'm going to try and find a workable solution.  Done a good bit of scaling back my wish list to simple basics; home page/hot sauces/powder blends/everything else.  Shopping cart is pretty much set to go.  Hoping to launch on Valentine's day.

grantmichaels said:
Okay, sounds pretty ordinary ...

I have an idea I've toyed with building for a while ...

I think it would be excellent for a site with a relatively small number of items, like 12-25 or something, but the interface wouldn't scale well for a ecommerce site for an entire product catalogue ...

Is there a practical limit to your sauce and rub count at any point-in-time that would fit what I'm describing, or do you plan to have a lot of offering's available at once? ...

CAPCOM said:
Yeah, I know, resurrecting a dead horse. 

Website went to the way side for a while, and I am starting to regenerate interest in getting it up and running.
I have Joomla 3.4.8 installed and running. Undecided on the template I will ultimately be using and am in the process of acquiring some extensions. 

If Anyone is familiar with or has joomla running and some advice or suggestions on what extensions they found to be inexpendable or sources for some nice templates, I am interested to hear of them.

I found this is pretty much the best there is out there hands down.

http://yootheme.com/

I can share plenty of secrets once you progress down the road a tad further ;) 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I found this is pretty much the best there is out there hands down.

http://yootheme.com/

I can share plenty of secrets once you progress down the road a tad further ;)
That appears to be geared toward hosting first with a joomla/WordPress support theme added.
I already have a website host with more expansion than I will probably ever use.

CAPCOM said:
That appears to be geared toward hosting first with a joomla/WordPress support theme added.
I already have a website host with more expansion than I will probably ever use.
No, they have nothing to do with hosting. I have used them for years. They make themes for Joomla or WordPress. You can check out my site and see it in action or my always under construction photography site..

chrisjoynerphotography.com 

grantmichaels said:

Is there a practical limit to your sauce and rub count at any point-in-time that would fit what I'm describing, or do you plan to have a lot of offering's available at once? ...

25 would seem to be the upper limit of what I'm currently thinking.  That or test batches would come and go keeping the number under 25. 

SmokenFire said:

25 would seem to be the upper limit of what I'm currently thinking.  That or test batches would come and go keeping the number under 25. 

Ok, good to know ;)

I have something I've wanted to make for a while, and it's not too big a deal because it would really just be building a little Japanese footbridge between two well-maintained open source components ...

I think it would work well with 1-6x categories, each with 1-12 items ... give or take, as a UI/UX ...

Back