• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Weird cuts or bites in leaves?

Hi,
I have roughly 60 pepper plants out on my balcony. Some of them have started to exhibit bites or tears on their leaves recently. You can see them here: http://imgur.com/a/BPBJJ

I was wondering if this could be due to pests? I don't see anything when I go out there and look on the leaves, but I've heard certain pests may only come out at night?

Also, my balcony has very high winds at times. Could this be tearing from all the strong winds hitting them?

Thanks for any help and insight everyone. Happy growing!

KingLeerUK said:
Birds.

They often nip the leaves when attempting to catch insects on your plants.

Hmm I've never seen birds really around my balcony, but maybe they come when I'm not home, or at night :(

Is there anything that can be done to prevent it? Or is it just one of those things I shouldn't worry about too much?

Thanks again!

Those look like growing pains to me, more than bites.

It looks like something happened to the leaf as they were developing and "tore" as they grew bigger. I see it all the time when I prune since I pinch, I often nick a small leaf and it grows in like that.

My guess is, not a bite from a pest, but instead they took some very small damage when the leaves were smaller and grew that way as a result.

Same or similar thing is occurring on my bhut right now. In my case I believe this is a reaction due to too much water.

moruga welder said:
has it been windy ?     :onfire:

My balcony constantly has pretty high winds. 

I don't recall noticing it last year, but I only had 4 plants last year that were bought from a nursery. These were all grown from seed this time, so maybe I didn't harden off well enough?

Back