• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Weird growth thing inside orange Hab

What's this hard green globular thing inside my orange hab?

Hab tasted great in my spicy McMuffin.

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

I don't know what it is for sure, but they seem to occur more often in bell peppers than any other one. At least from personal observation.

Good to see you RB!

Thank you TX!

I've found them mainly in bell peppers and Scotch Bonnet/Hab shaped chinenses, I've yet to find it in a long chilli.

I get that black stuff on some Habs. Maybe 1 in 10 that I cut open will have that stuff. I'm still not sure if it's mold and if it's safe to eat like that.

yep that growth happens once in awhile, like said, I've also seen it happen more in bells then in habs also.

Diabolus said:
I get that black stuff on some Habs. Maybe 1 in 10 that I cut open will have that stuff. I'm still not sure if it's mold and if it's safe to eat like that.

thank you!, for letting me know this, I was begining to think I was the only person getting moldy insides on habanero types.
maybe it cuz of our weather, since its not ideal hab weather, the outside looks normal but inside is black/moldy sometimes, it happens to me more than 1 in 10 though more like 3-4 in 10 :(

I dont get it, I wished there was a way to prevent this, it seems like it happens around ripening time cuz it doesnt happen in the unripe stage. for me at least.

I've gotten the black fuzzy stuff too. I usually toss the entire pepper, mold goes a long way without being seen.

chilehunter said:
thank you!, for letting me know this, I was begining to think I was the only person getting moldy insides on habanero types.
maybe it cuz of our weather, since its not ideal hab weather, the outside looks normal but inside is black/moldy sometimes, it happens to me more than 1 in 10 though more like 3-4 in 10 :(

I don't mind when I find one myself because if it's really bad I'll toss it. What bugs me is when I give some to friends and the next day they ask me why I gave them moldy peppers. :(

Diabolus said:
I don't mind when I find one myself because if it's really bad I'll toss it. What bugs me is when I give some to friends and the next day they ask me why I gave them moldy peppers. :(

I agree, when giving people some pods that look normal & inside is bad. when I give chile pods (chinense type) to friends I tell them cut them open & check them before using, cuz you never know.

this is another reason I don't like drying pods without cutting them open, I dont want any dried moldy pod used for meals!

Back